8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got radared "doing 85 in a 55" on a Route 2 trying to pass someone by going into the opposing traffic lane (dashed single yellow line). I live in PA but go up there frequently for work. Does anyone know if points will be assessed to my PA license? Is this worth trying to fight or should I just pay it and be done with it? The officer told me to "be sure to read the ticket carefully", I'm not sure if he was trying to hint at something or what. He made a couple minor errors on the citation such as spelling my name wrong, getting my race wrong (it's kind of a trick question since I'm mixed) and he didn't ask me to sign the citation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i believe that both states have reciprocity which would mean the points would carry over. but, i remember reading that a traffic ticket in another state is 2 points.

·
Registered
757 Posts
damn that sucks i know where your talkin about on rt 2 also. but yeah spelling errors = throw out in mass if you fight the ticket..

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
Yea, it sucks you got a ticket... but seriously... using the opposite lane to pass someone? Thats lame.

As other people have said... in MA, spelling errors = throw out if you fight it.

Edit:
My bad... i missed the 'single dotted line' part in your OP. Sucks you got busted tho.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
were you "working" at the time? you can usually bargain down a ticket if working. You really need to see a lawyer.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
^^if you were working, and your car isnt stated as a work vehicle on your insurance, you may get screwed. Dont say you were working

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
:spinning: :spinning: Not that here, you can use your personal car for work, just not everyday OTE=anavrin351]^^if you were working, and your car isnt stated as a work vehicle on your insurance, you may get screwed. Dont say you were working[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
He spelled your name wrong AND you didn't sign it? Case dismissed. Don't pay ****. You are really lucky man. 30mph over is wreckless driving in most states.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
sgtpruitt said:
He spelled your name wrong AND you didn't sign it? Case dismissed. Don't pay ****. You are really lucky man. 30mph over is wreckless driving in most states.
anything over 20 is here. You guys have cool laws out there

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, sounds like I should try to fight it. Is there a chance they could make the violation worse if I fight it? As in bump it up to reckless driving.

Why do spelling errors = thrown out? I'm not complaining but how does a cop's typo make a violator any less responsible? I understand the signature thing is MA law though but they usually will not throw out the case for that alone.

The way he said to read the ticket carefully really weirded me out. Do you think he did the name and signature thing on purpose? I still had the temp registration and it sounded like he felt bad that it was a new car. That's probably just conspiracy theory though.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
garrnew said:
Ok, sounds like I should try to fight it. Is there a chance they could make the violation worse if I fight it? As in bump it up to reckless driving.

The way he said to read the ticket carefully really weirded me out. Do you think he did the name and signature thing on purpose? I still had the temp registration and it sounded like he felt bad that it was a new car. That's probably just conspiracy theory though.

I think he was trying to meet his quota and give you a back door at the same time. It won't get worse, that's not the way it works. Just go to your court date and explain that the information on the ticket is not accurate and they should dismiss it. Worst case scenario is you still have a ticket to pay for.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think that using the car to get to work is different then using the car for work (eg. deliveries, company car). Just wanted to clarify.

·
Banned
577 Posts
fight it, name and race is wrong? plus im pretty sure rt 2 is 65. ive been on rt2 like a bunch of times going to boston and i don't think i have ever seen a 55mph sign. and its also weird that u saw a cop on rt2, i have never seen one even in the boston area. i usally go between 70-80mph there. and im usally the slow one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The limit was def 55. I was near VT.

Has anyone here actually fought a ticket in MA and care to share their story? I read that I may have to go to court twice, once with a magistrate, once with a judge.

I also read about their Freedom Of Information thing similar to the federal one which would let me get the officers notes and ****. Has anybody done this? I feel like that would piss the officer off more and make him less likely to be lenient if he shows up to court but it would let me know what I'm up against. It also would let me get the radar calibration and officer training records.

·
Registered
301 Posts
What the hell is with people who aren't from New England? Maybe in the rest of the country you're supposed to fear traffic cops (or cops doing traffic stops) but in NE, we despise traffic cops as they are pretty much the lowest form of cop there is, and really are more of an annoyance than any use to the public. With that in mind, the cop already knows this, won't show up for court, and was nice enough to give you a way out so he wouldn't have to do anymore work, while technically meeting his ticket quota.

So unless you are really from the soft south, fight the ticket, get it thrown out and continue with business as usual. I've only known of 1 person on one incident who fought a ticket in MA and lost, and he was fighting a parking ticket in front of a fire hydrant. Even those can get thrown out.

/end the end of the day rant

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
ouija said:
What the hell is with people who aren't from New England? Maybe in the rest of the country you're supposed to fear traffic cops (or cops doing traffic stops) but in NE, we despise traffic cops as they are pretty much the lowest form of cop there is, and really are more of an annoyance than any use to the public. With that in mind, the cop already knows this, won't show up for court, and was nice enough to give you a way out so he wouldn't have to do anymore work, while technically meeting his ticket quota.

So unless you are really from the soft south, fight the ticket, get it thrown out and continue with business as usual. I've only known of 1 person on one incident who fought a ticket in MA and lost, and he was fighting a parking ticket in front of a fire hydrant. Even those can get thrown out.

/end the end of the day rant
And here I am thinking I was the only one that new this. lol. Nice!! 99% of the time, a NE traffic cop will not show up to court.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
But a cop not showing up to court, doesn't necessarily mean get out of jail free. The ticket itself is evidence.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts