8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get this code everytime I go into reverse, I had the ranch switch replaced along with the wire harness but I still get the check engine light.

I have discovered how to throw the code, if I go over 3MPH in reverse which by the way is not hard to do, it throws the code and the check engine light comes on, I reset it with a scan gauge and even tried disconnecting the negative battery cable for 15 min and still same problem.

Is it possible the gauge cluster could be causing this code? The wiring harness looks great original as this car has never had anything installed after market such as remote start, alarm system or high end after market stereo,

The other thing is that when I start my car right before turning the key the D LED lights up, does anyone else's 2006 Civic Sedan do this? To clarify I mean in the Tach/Gauge Cluster where the D R N D3 D2 D1 LED indicators are located when I turn the key to pre-start position it only shows the green dot next to the D and then when I start it shows the red dot next to P and not D.

Now once the check engine light comes on I get the D light flashing after being in reverse and moving to either P or D it will not iluminate the R position ever, no matter what I am doing car running or not.

Please help me if you can..

thanks,

JK

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wanted to thank kalisjr for all his help. I had the exact same problem with my 2008 Honda Civic that was involved in an accident. In my case, I only had to replace the ecu since it was damaged when the battery bumped into it during the colision. I included Justin's solution per his request in case anyone needed the information. It could be very helpful if the ecu is not the problem.

Joe,

The solution to the problem for me was wiring, took it to a Honda dealer in town and they did a diagnostic and found one of the grounds wires was at fault. This is of course after replacing parts that were related to the trasmission.

The whole thing cost me $186.00 although I found out from the mechanic that if you reset the light with a free OBD scan tool from Autozone or other local auto part stores to make the check engine light go off then you can keep the check engine light from ever coming on again for that code by just making sure when you back up you never exceed 4MPH, if you reset the check engine light and reverse slowly under 4 MPH it will never come on again.

The reverse input is read after 4 MPH, it's a false positive error, meaning there is really no mechnical issue with the car just that the computer thinks there is due to the improper ground.

I guess when these cars get in an accident it does not always get replaced with factory wireharnesses, so if there are issue then it requires diag from dealer.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Justin

·
Registered
1 Posts
justin. podrias por favor darnos mas informacion al respecto ya que mi civic le pasa lo mismo. cual fue el cable y de cual conector. gracias amigo.
hector

1 - 3 of 3 Posts