8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
trunk fixed!

You guys are just plain awesome. I never would have figured any of this out without you.

I was carrying a large Rubbermaid tub (slightly larger than a laundry basket) full of painting supplies last night, and when I went to open the trunk, it only raised about 6 inches and got hung up. I put my arm in the opening to push on the tub, while lowering the trunk lid as far as I could, then pushed the tub. The trunk opened all the way, and got stuff out of the tub and closed it. It never opened again.

I tried the fob as well as the manual fuel-door lever, and nothing would budge. I worried I would have to fork out a fortune to fix it at the dealer.

I searched Google and found this site, and got good info on this thread.

I used a screwdriver through the child-latch hole, and thanks to your excellent pictures, was able to visualize exactly where to aim. Got it the first try!

I ended up having to unscrew and unbolt the latch mechanism from the trunk lid before it would open (GITD safety didn't work--makes me feel safe), and after examining the latch for some time, I determined that the two ears on the sides of the metal baseplate were bent.

My postmortem concludes that as I raised the trunklid, the top lip of the Rubbermaid tub caught on the top of the black plastic housing of the latch solenoid, bending it forward towards the cockpit. This caused the plastic lever inside the housing to lose contact with the metal release lever inside the latch, rendering all three methods of release meaningless.

I put each ear in the vise--don't tighten it too much or you will have to retap the screw holes--and gently bent the housing back to true. I did some careful fine-tuning with a channel-lock to get the holes to line up again, and installed it. Works like new!!

Thankfully I didn't have any broken parts, as some of you unfortunately did.

:deadhorse:

Again, thank you all very much for your thoroughness and brilliance. You saved me a bunch of money, and I hope I can do the same for you someday.

· Registered
1 Posts
06 SI Trunk stuck

YES I too had trunk stuck from laundry basket probably, and I was frustrated as remote and manual opener, NOT working..just heard click, and no matter how much you pushed on it,,was NEVER gonna open..KUDOS to CAjun and his pics for the passenger side opening to get seat down...THIS DID work,,definitely use a metal butter knife,,as this after few minutes,,did work!!, Then was able to reach in and get other side open to have full access to TRUNK,,then the good part..what happens was the plastic piece by lock mechanisim, that shows the word OPEN ,,was jammed in OPEN position..you gentlely need to push that towards right side and it will snap back in position,,then you can manually push it towards left and this opens the trunk..then you should be able to open via the internal lever need floor and the remote,,worked for me,,but all because was able to get seat down..again my compliments to CAjun...thanks bro!!

· Registered
34 Posts
this is how i opened it

and this is what I found... the green laundry basket messed the whole thing up.

the whole black piece hanging is about $50 online, but I ONLY NEED A SMALL BLACK PLASTIC ... I don't think its for sale though.

:( way to go Honda... now my car smells like ****, i removed the seats, bolts, covers, my car is full of useless tools, its wet and dirty, i spent hours working on it.

all you need is a spoon, F** YOU HONDA , YOU CAN TELL THEY DID THIS ON PURPOSE TO MAKE SOME MONEY , THEY PROBABLY KNOW THIS TRICK FROM THE MANUALS AND TRAINING VIDEOS BUT THEY MAKE SURE YOU PAY 2 HOURS OF LABOR JUST TO OPEN IT.

LANDLANDLJSNANDLNADLNLANDLJNADLSLA !!!!!!! I DONT FEEL LIKE PUTTING THE SEATS BACK..... IM PISSED OFF, NOT LAZY.

· Registered
18 Posts
I did get it to work. I used a knife as described before, but you must put the knife at an extreme angle so that it enters the child latch area as close to the driver side, and then rotate it clockwise. You then can reach in and unlock the other part of the backseat near the subwoofer. Then, its a matter of crawling to the safety lever/latch. My tensioned cable wasnt attached correctly ( see below) and the actuacted lever that does the unlatching was not able to travel enough distance to open the trunk.

Attachments

81 - 91 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.