8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
21 - 40 of 91 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
i had the same problem, the trunk would not open with the remote or the mauel lever by the driver seat. I believe the trunk release actuator went out. I had to take it to the dealer and they had to remove the rear seats to get to the manual release in the trunk. I know it sucks because I had to wait a couple of days to get it, and I had some important stuff in the trunk. Good luck!

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
i had the same problem, the trunk would not open with the remote or the mauel lever by the driver seat. I believe the trunk release actuator went out. I had to take it to the dealer and they had to remove the rear seats to get to the manual release in the trunk. I know it sucks because I had to wait a couple of days to get it, and I had some important stuff in the trunk. Good luck!
How much did the dealership charge you to fix it? do you remember? approximately.

· Registered
5 Posts
hey this happened to me too, all you gotta do is pull the bottom back seat out (2 10mm botlts i think) and the passenger rear plastic interior piece to reach the side bolt on the back seat that lets it hinge down. then you can reach your arm inside to pull the cable that releases the rear seats. then you can crawl in you trunk and hit the glow in the dark trunk release, done.

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
hey this happened to me too, all you gotta do is pull the bottom back seat out (2 10mm botlts i think) and the passenger rear plastic interior piece to reach the side bolt on the back seat that lets it hinge down. then you can reach your arm inside to pull the cable that releases the rear seats. then you can crawl in you trunk and hit the glow in the dark trunk release, done.
can you explain this in more detail please?

pull bottom back seat out? so the part where you sit on right? It seems to be firmly connected to the middle area, so I can't seem to pull the bottom part out at all. like maybe a bunch of wires or something going through...

so, where are these two 10mm bolts? I seem to only be able to pull the cloth/padding off of the bottom part of the seat (back).

so you don't have to touch the seat back? you just need to get in from the Bottom of the seats after removing the bottom part of the seat and this plastic interior piece?

is the plastic interior piece you are talking about ...is it that plate under the seat? (where you sit on). on the left bottom corner of the picture.

thanks,

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
not the seat back releases, the emergency release is GITD
Alas,
I tried prying the subwoofer cover during lunch to no avail. it's in there really good and it's damaging the rest of the cover to pry a flathead screwdriver in there.

i don't care too much, but is there an easier way to do it?

there's not much room to dig the screwdriver in and little leverage to pry it off.

I was thinking maybe I could drill a couple holes in the cover carefully and then yank the cover off (damaging just the cover).

I could later replace the cover or just go without...i have really dark tint and the middle head rest covers it up.....

that video of the LED brake light only applies if you have the seat folded down... :(

Please help!

· Registered
808 Posts
Alas,
I tried prying the subwoofer cover during lunch to no avail. it's in there really good and it's damaging the rest of the cover to pry a flathead screwdriver in there.

i don't care too much, but is there an easier way to do it?

there's not much room to dig the screwdriver in and little leverage to pry it off.

I was thinking maybe I could drill a couple holes in the cover carefully and then yank the cover off (damaging just the cover).

I could later replace the cover or just go without...i have really dark tint and the middle head rest covers it up.....

that video of the LED brake light only applies if you have the seat folded down... :(

Please help!

why haven't you asked the dealer to do a goodwill fix? The service guys are not monsters

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
i don't know what i'd do without a car... can't really afford to pay for much right now..like a rental, etc. i've talked to a couple dealerships and it doesn't seem like they're gonna do it for free. gonna charge around 2 hours of labor most likely D:

· Registered
808 Posts
i don't know what i'd do without a car... can't really afford to pay for much right now..like a rental, etc. i've talked to a couple dealerships and it doesn't seem like they're gonna do it for free. gonna charge around 2 hours of labor most likely D:

In person? you showed them? maybe they are just nicer around here. Its such a oddball thing that I cant see why they wouldnt have a laugh and help you out

· Banned
14,725 Posts
how many miles on your car? chances are this would be a warrenty issue.
why would you have to pay? justt dont tell them you stuffed it full of crap...

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
i have almost 50k miles. i'll be at 2 years in August.

It's not stuffed full of crap is the thing. I took out a lot of it the night before and i thought it was fine.

I think by somewhat forcing the trunk to close when I had a lot of stuff may have damaged some of the internals or jammed it some how.

· Registered
970 Posts
If you can't find the bolt to the seat bottom, STOP. That's the shallow end. Everything else is deep end.

Yes, a bin, box, or laundry basket can JAMN and BREAK the trunk mechanism. This is a *known* problem. Even though there isn't a TSB out on this, they were replacing the sun visors for goodwill a long time before the TSB recently went out on that.

Take it to your dealer. If there's a case to be had for goodwill, this is it. Less than two years old, and an item that DOESN'T care how many miles you've got on your car breaks. Trunks are only opened a few times a day, so they are MUCH more likely to spot you one. Have you been going in for service at ALL? (It shouldn't help, but it does.)

Anyhow, this is a tough job for a DIY. Bring it in.

-mr. bill

· Registered
247 Posts
Even if they do charge you to open it up, it won't be THAT much - even if it took them an hour to do it. You're talking dozens of dollars, not hundreds :)

An easy way to get them to look it over though, is to take it in for an oil change or something and say "hey by the way, my trunk is stuck, do you think they could take a quick look and see if they can get it open?" I know I always end up spending way more time on a request like that, than one that I have been specifically asked to fix. lol.

If they get it open, that opens the door for a conversation about the part that failed, and "wow, my car is only 2 years old..."

21 - 40 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.