8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the HFP suspension in my closet for a few months and I'm ready to put it on.

I called the dealer and asked how much it would be. $600 :eek:mg:

That's more the the kit itself cost.

Am I being robbed? Never mind, I obviously am. How much should it cost to get this installed?

Should I care about the warranty? I mean this kind of crap never breaks...right?

My car's handling is in your hands. Thanks! :wavey:

·
Broke Baller
110,904 Posts
I think even if you dont get it installed from an authorized dealer, the part is still covered under warranty.

This is from honda-tech.com:

Time and Mileage Limits:
Except for batteries, mufflers, and selected Honda Remanufactured parts, automobile parts supplied by Honda Automobile Division of American Honda and purchased from and installed by an authorized Honda Automobile Dealer are covered for 12 months or 12,000 miles from the date installed, whichever comes first. Honda parts supplied by American Honda and purchased from, but not installed by, an authorized Honda Automobile Dealer are covered against defects in workmanship and materials for 12 months from the date of purchase. Replacement batteries are covered for 36 months from the date of purchase, pro-rated for usage. Replacement mufflers have a limited lifetime warranty. Some remanufactured parts have a 36 month, 36,000 mile limited warranty.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All right, well screw the warrenty.

How much should it cost to get a right & left front damper assembly, 2 rear dampers & 2 rear springs installed.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
So it just means the parts are warrantied for a year, whether or not Honda installs them, if I read that correctly.

·
Broke Baller
110,904 Posts
All right, well screw the warrenty.

How much should it cost to get a right & left front damper assembly, 2 rear dampers & 2 rear springs installed.
Depending on where you go. I would say around $200-300 would be a safe estimate. Can be cheaper can be more. Just depends. Shop around.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Tommyroo:

If I were you I'd save some money and just get some jack stands and a ratchet/bit set for $60 bucks and look up an instruction manual. I recently started doing my own labor, and the money I am saving is definitly worth it, and its rewarding knowing that you can DIY. Suspension is all bolt on stuff as well so you dont have to do any fabricating.

If you arent comfortable DIY then shop around different places, and see what you can get it done for. If you tell a shop another near by garage offered to do it for $30 less you can likely get them to bargain down a little, because shops hate competitors doing similar labor cheaper than them. Ive been ripped off a bunch of times and thats what drove me to just get tools, and google instruction manuals.

·
Registered
932 Posts
If you have any mechanical skills you can DIY. Just follow the directions precisely and take you time. It does not take special tools. If not, get installation prices from muffler shops. Non chain shops will probably be the cheapest especially if they have no customers at the time show up. Always works for me.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I wish I had some mechanical skills. I'm looking at the instructions right now and your right, it seems like a bunch of screws but still, I think I'll let a professional deal with this.

Jay, curious why you mentioned a muffler shop to do this. Isnt that out of their realm or because it's simply screws any "monkey" with a lift can do this?

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
My local shop charges 200 to do a spring/shock/strut install with an alignment! And it can be had even cheaper...600 is a crazy rip-off!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Stealership quoted me 600. they also said it wasn't covered by warranty if something went bad.They also said that Id be on my own to get replacement parts should the suspension have issues. I think this is a crock of ****...
I had mine installed for 300 by a local shop. Shop around or do it your self.

Oh yeah and you'll love the handling this provides, I know I do.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Try to do it yourself, it's really easy! You'll love the sense of accomplishment and you'll be amazed at what you'll learn about your car. If you're worried maybe you can find a 8th gen member in your area who is willing to spare some time giving you a hand, maybe you can make it worth their while (I have tons of friends who work for beer and pizza)

If not, find a local (trusted) shop with an alignment rack (cuz you'll need an alignment once it's installed) and ask them for a quote for the install and alignement.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
I highly recommend getting an impact wrench. Some of those dang bolts refuse to come out. But yeah it's not that bad as a DIY.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well even if I bought the tools and jack stands I can't work on my car because I live in an apartment. I'm just gonna shop around for a good price. A member here gave me the number to his girlfriend's father to call so I might check that out too.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
FYI the ballpark figure to shoot for is $200 suspension install, $100 alignment (from reputable, specialized shops too, not ghetto ones). Call around, and you should be able to find prices close to this.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I highly recommend getting an impact wrench. Some of those dang bolts refuse to come out. But yeah it's not that bad as a DIY.
I didn't need an impact wrench when I did it, but frankly it's not a bad tool to have around in case you ever do.

To the OP, I'd say it really depends on how much your time is worth. No matter what $600 is a rip, but if you can do it for $200 to $300 it's not so bad. I did it myself with a friend over and had a fun time just figuring it out. Remember, you'll never learn unless you get in there and do it. I can understand being afraid of messing things up, but you have to realize that what you're doing is the exact same thing a shop is doing. They're following the same intstructions in the same order. They just have a lift and better tools. Whatever you decide to do, be sure to get an alignment job done afterwards, but give it about a week for the springs to settle.

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Well even if I bought the tools and jack stands I can't work on my car because I live in an apartment. I'm just gonna shop around for a good price. A member here gave me the number to his girlfriend's father to call so I might check that out too.

Ask if you can use his garage and tools if he has them in exchange for a 12 pack. The fronts are 3 nuts and 3 bolts and the rears are 1 nut and one bolt. You got that. You can doooooo it. 200 bucks could get you camber bolts for the front and camber arms for the rear which you can use to maximize handling. There is a damper/spring removal sticky at the top of this section. You can always ask for help round here.

If you are close to me I can do it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts