8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my SI last year (30k miles ago) and replaced the rims with some Gram Lights 57 RC. They came with Hankook K106 tires which many people said were pos but cheap so still sorta worth it.

Anyway, they lasted through 30,000 miles with a decent amount of tread remaining.

Now I'm looking to buy some new tires, but need some help because the reviews I've seen on discounttire or tirerack are so mixed.

I need something in the price range of <150$. The cheaper the better (and hopefully better than the k106's)

So far I've been looking at BFG g-force and some kumhos... anyone have any suggestions or reviews of these tires? I drive relatively conservatively (don't make hard turns, don't burn out, etc) and want something that will last me at least 20k.

The K106's weren't supposed to last more than 15-20k I heard.. but I made them last... so iono.

I would really appreciate any input, thanks!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I've picked out a few more.. any recommendations? Any of these I should stay away from?

Yokohoma YK520
BFG G-Force Sport
Kumho Ecsta ASX
Kumho Ecsta AST
Falken Azenis ST115

·
Registered
750 Posts
what kind of conditions are you going to be driving in? Do you just need a summer tire? Strong rain traction? All season? Also what size? Do you want to go wider or stay stock?

Here are some recommendations assuming you want stock size summer tires based on your possible financial situation (prices off of tire rack):

broke like a joke: Kumho Ecsta SPT $88/tire - ex gf had them on her mkIV GTI and loved them, she didn't drive her car very hard though.

Got some x-mas money and work at a starbucks: Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 $135/tire- old design, but tried and true. Relatively soft side wall keeps this one from being an extreme canyon carver.

Your pimpin' business is booming and you've just expanded into China: Bridgestone Potenza RE 01R $162/tire - The **** on dry pavement, the **** on wet pavement, cuts tarmac like a steak knife through tri-tip.

As you can imagine I'm biased toward bridgestone, I had the SO3pp on my prelude and LOVED them, a must have if you live anywhere there is a decent rain fall. The RE 01R will be my next tire unless something better comes out in that time.

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Well I have the Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S and I love them. Very responsive, even at 5 degree weather.. also pretty quiet and they look pretty good imo. $130/tire

·
Registered
750 Posts
that last post was hella-awsome. so clever and absolutely right. those all are great choices, but i am impressed by the clever delivery...exported into china....love it!
Just trying to add some color to the site :thumb:

Spencer, does Tire Rack ever have sales on these tires? My room mate got a set of 245-40-17 RE 01Rs for ~$140/tire from DTD a while back, and I got a set of wheels and hankook icebears for $413 shipped from them in October during another sale. Any chance TR is going to have a sale around spring o summer?

Also, he mounted 245 wide tires on his stock wheels (06 STi) and said that they were just as wide as the 225 potenza 070s that came with the car. Do these tires run a bit on the narrow side? If so Could do the 245-40-17 on the stock 17x7 wheel? or would I need a wider wheel? Thanks.

Peter

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll probably just be needing summer tires. I live in Tucson, AZ so we only see rain during monsoon season. Even then, I don't go out driving when its monsooning...

Also, I'll probably be putting the tires on hold. Apparently I have a lot more tread than I thought...

The guy at discount tire looked at them and was like wow theres a lot left. Apparently he was very surprised when I told him I had 30k on them... he thinks theres almost another 10k left.

In short I'm just looking for a summer tire that performs well in the dry, but has a decent tread life (expected to last 20k+). Then again, maybe I just drive more conservative than I thought considering my current tires weren't supposed to last more than about 20k either.

Thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
959 Posts
i just bought 2 sets of yokohama yk520s for my Si and my ladies jetta. a hell of a lot quieter than stocks...but i, and ill say about 100% of Si owners, absolutely hate these OEM michelin tires. I only have 300miles on them but theyre great so far. i drive in the snow at this time of the year so these were one of the best tires out there when it came to snow, rain, and dry according to a bunch of ratings that i went through. i did a lot of research on them. but since u dont drive in snow....then up to u buddy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts