8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
What you need is a graphite sealant specifically made for this purpose

Throttle Body Service

they detail the process here. I cannot remember what the stuff is called, but maxbore should be applying this themselves and the fact that they do not is what causes the issue.

the problem is the butterfly in the stock throttle body seals PERFECTLY whereas when you get them bored they do not. To compensate the seal, the graphite stuff is applied.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
What you need is a graphite sealant specifically made for this purpose

Throttle Body Service

they detail the process here. I cannot remember what the stuff is called, but maxbore should be applying this themselves and the fact that they do not is what causes the issue.

the problem is the butterfly in the stock throttle body seals PERFECTLY whereas when you get them bored they do not. To compensate the seal, the graphite stuff is applied.
Very interesting. Thank you for sharing that.

The article does say that there is very little luck in the re-sealing process working so I am going to send the TB back to Maxbore for a new butterfly which will hopefully fit perfectly.
Just gotta package it up and get it to the post office...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I had this idea that maybe I have a bad Air Assist Valve. I wonder if it's geeking out with the higher air volume or it's on the verge of going bad and with my normal TB there is no issues but with the excessive air it's not working right...

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Almost 7 years later... and I am back to it... lol

After my last post, I just left it alone and put the TB away in my shed. Since then I've moved and now live in Dayton, OH and not worried about CARB so I can go as crazy as I want on my Si now. Woo Hoo!

I found a shop that does Hondata tuning and had them install the TB and an exhaust header. The install went very smooth and they had my car ready the next day. However... I got a CEL even before leaving the parking lot! Ugh... and I parked it and it's been with them for the last couple days to try and troubleshoot.

When the car is warm, it has no issues. I did a dyno pull and got 193 HP at the wheels! I am very happy about that. It has over 170,000 miles on it and it's 13 years old! I want to make a couple more modifications to get it over 200... lol

The problem is when it starts from cold.

There is no downloadable files for this TB so they need to make one from scratch. Apparently this takes a lot of time and effort... Have to do things like having the throttle at 3k until it warms up.
I figured that these guys are the pros so they would know what to do but they seem to always work from a file that they download from Hondata and start there. Working from scratch is not really their thing I guess...

If anyone has had this issue I'm interested in hearing how they were able to get it fixed.

I'm excited that it's, at least, working with a warm engine.

I wonder if there is a gadget to cancel a CEL once a car gets warm...

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
You need a bidirectional code scanner with honda software or HDS scanner to reset the throttle position senaor TPS. You also have to flash the car back to stock in hondata for the tps option to show up on the scanner. A foxwell nt510 will do it for $155. No more bouncing rpms at idle.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I believe that the throttle is not jumping any more. The tuner was able to get it basically working. It’s now just giving a CEL at cold startup. I hope they can get it so that there is no CEL when cold.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts