8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you help me guys? I'm trying to look for a DIY in how to replace the clutch master cylinder. I know the basics in how to bleed the clutch and all that stuff but my problem is - how do you get to the clutch master cylinder? It is buried in the engine compartment and I mean it is deep in there! I tried removing the heat shield but after removing it, I could see the CMC, but there's more crap blocking access to it. If I can get to it, I know I can replace it. It's not rocket science. But the way these new civics are built, everything so compact and close together just trying to replace one little part could be a nightmare.

I bought a CMC from a Honda parts dealer online and I've been trying to learn how to replace it. Please help! Send me a DIY in how to access the CMC. Thanks and have a nice day!

·
Registered
131 Posts
(i am gonna guess and say this is for an si )its a pain u will need some swivle sockets and wrenches of a certian size( dont recall the sizes) first u need to unclip the cotter pin and there will be a little holder price that will come out to from inside the car on the upper partof the clutch pedal then from under the hood u will need to use a flat head screw driver and use it to pull out the retain clip holing the metal hose in, pull the rubber hose off and the unbolt the cmc dont drop the bolts it is a mission to find them then pull it out teh install in reverse order then u need to bleed the cluth line and u should be good
have fun

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What makes you think that your clutch master cylinder is bad? They usually last for a long time...
It's still working but it feels weird. It's hard to explain but basically I am feeling vibration as I am taking my foot off the clutch pedal. This may or may not be normal but I have bought a new CMC and since I have it why not change it? The problem I am having is trying to get to the CMC because in order to do this you have to remove the cowl and heatshield and a bunch of other stuff. I will try again today and update you guys later.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
(i am gonna guess and say this is for an si )its a pain u will need some swivle sockets and wrenches of a certian size( dont recall the sizes) first u need to unclip the cotter pin and there will be a little holder price that will come out to from inside the car on the upper partof the clutch pedal then from under the hood u will need to use a flat head screw driver and use it to pull out the retain clip holing the metal hose in, pull the rubber hose off and the unbolt the cmc dont drop the bolts it is a mission to find them then pull it out teh install in reverse order then u need to bleed the cluth line and u should be good
have fun
it is a freaking b*tch to remove/replace since it is in a spot where you can't just get to it, you have to remove the heat shield and cowl and a bunch of other stuff. I was hoping there would be an easier way that's why I've posted here maybe I can get some help since I'm kind of a newbie. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
why fix it if its not broken. I mean your CMC won't go bad this soon, unless it has a manufacturors defect. I believe that something is wrong with your clutch and not the CMC. It should be a spongy pedal, not a vibrating pedal.

·
Registered
334 Posts
why fix it if its not broken. I mean your CMC won't go bad this soon, unless it has a manufacturors defect. I believe that something is wrong with your clutch and not the CMC. It should be a spongy pedal, not a vibrating pedal.
:yeahthat: It seems like way too much work to change out the CMC just because. Just a forewarning, since everyone has been there before, throwing parts at your car to try to fix a problem, or the shotgun approach, as its called, is gonna waste a lot of time and money. You need to put in some good diagnostic time, to find the root of the problem.

·
Registered
131 Posts
it is a freaking b*tch to remove/replace since it is in a spot where you can't just get to it, you have to remove the heat shield and cowl and a bunch of other stuff. I was hoping there would be an easier way that's why I've posted here maybe I can get some help since I'm kind of a newbie. I'd appreciate any help I can get.
where do u live?

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
Did you try bleeding it?
a vibration in the clutch while coming off the pedal will have nothing to do with air in the lines. I still believe its either nothing, or something wrong with the clutch or maybe pressure plate.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It's still working but it feels weird. It's hard to explain but basically I am feeling vibration as I am taking my foot off the clutch pedal. This may or may not be normal but I have bought a new CMC and since I have it why not change it? The problem I am having is trying to get to the CMC because in order to do this you have to remove the cowl and heatshield and a bunch of other stuff. I will try again today and update you guys later.
What year is your SI? and how many miles?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What year is your SI? and how many miles?
It's an 08 and my CMC has been replaced once and I think it's going bad again. It's not an impossibility since this is a well-known problem with Honda. If you search this site you will find hundreds of cases like mine where the CMC is not working properly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you try bleeding it?
I haven't tried bleeding the clutch line but I might do that before attempting to replace the CMC. I am a newbie when it comes to this kind of stuff that's why I'm asking for peoples thoughts on this.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
It's an 08 and my CMC has been replaced once and I think it's going bad again. It's not an impossibility since this is a well-known problem with Honda. If you search this site you will find hundreds of cases like mine where the CMC is not working properly.
So now your saying that your already on your 2nd CMC... I highly doubt it is going bad already, unless it was intalled incorrectly. You can actually adjust your clutch play on the back of the CMC where it hookes up to your pedal. If it is not setup right, you could wear out your clutch and CMC prematurely. Do you have an aftermarket clutch? How many miles are on your car?

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
any more news on this? I had/have a problem with my car not going into gear. We bleed the lines and it still did it... adjusted the clutch play, still same thing. So we figured it was the clutch. Got a brand new clutch and flywheel. and the car is still doing the same thing. So we are going to the CMC next. I ordered it and should be here on tuesday. Any ideas of an easy way to do this? lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts