8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just lowered my car and i guess i got too excited to drive the car that i forgot i had the wheel lock still in a lug.. so what can i do?

-Works Cr kai wheel locks

·
Registered
59 Posts
From what my dealer told me, there are a few dealerships around that carry the full key set (there are around 50 different combinations). Call your local dealer and ask them if they do, or where the nearest one is. It might just be worth your while to make the road trip?

I don't know if there is (but there might be) a serial number for your lug, you might be able to get another one ordered if you have that number.

It is in your best interest to take care of this asap. If you get a flat, the roadside assistance guys take a chisel and hack off your lug with a hammer!

I'm sure honda will be able to help you tho. I'm disappointed that they don't give two keys with the car for that reason

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Had that happen on my RX-7, the moron at the garage stipped the wheel lock key grooves with a air rachet. They got got them off by whacking a slightly smaller socket with deep grooves onto each lock nice and tight then removed them normally. Unfortunately they scratched the crap out of one of my wheels (5 spoke OEM star not the crappy phone dial ones) when it needed to be heated like hell with a torch and chiseled.

Lesson learned:
1. Spend the $25 (or whatever it is) for a spare key because you NEVER know!
2. Take the week lock off yourself before bringing your car for service and put it back on yourself before driving off. This minimizes the likelihood of some overworked/unpaid mechanic using a impact wrench and aside from making it impossible to remove when you have a flat but also stripping the key. Another good thing about this is that you don't have to tell your mechanic where you car's hiding spot is and you don't have a stranger going through you stuff looking for a key if they all of a sudden need to take off the wheels.
3. Make life easier on yourself put a dab of antisieze in the treads of the locks in case you have to change a tire. The interlocking grooves the key/locks use don't need the added stress of a siezed wheel lock -snapping a stud or scratching the wheel is a PITA!! While I'm at it, tighten your locks/nuts every so often and check the air pressure in your spare tire because you never know when you'll need it!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Robstar's si said:
i just lowered my car and i guess i got too excited to drive the car that i forgot i had the wheel lock still in a lug.. so what can i do?

-Works Cr kai wheel locks
:eek:hsnap: I did the same exact thing. for the entire weekend i drove around town with that thing hanging off the lug and didnt even realize till i went to fill up and was like what the hell is this on my rim... Closer inspection i found out that lil SOB held on for about 30 miles!!!!! i got soooooooo lucky

1 - 5 of 5 Posts