8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I followed all directions that came with the rotors and in this diy.

Dig My Honda - How to install Brake pads and Rotors

I installed the front EBC Ultimax Rotors (blanks) and EBC Ultimax Pads.

Now when I drive my steering wheel is really shaky, vibrations and such. And its worse when I'm on my brakes going downhill its really bad it feels like my car is stuttering. When I'm on my brakes on a level surface or uphill its not as bad.

:help: !!!

Going to take it apart tomorrow to see if something is off, I really don't know what it could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
check to see if a wheel weight fell off....but most likely ur rotors are warped...they can be warped by being stacked in a warehouse incorrectly

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
doubt that a wheel weight fell off. i mean other than looking at it how else would i be able to tell if its warped?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Would probably need to take it to a shop and have them put it on a lathe to be able to tell. Unless you have a "true" surface to lay it on, however that would be really hard. I would take them off and make sure that you put them on all the way and they are sitting flat against the hub. Its worse down hill because you are working the breaks harder so it is multiplying the problem because its taking more force. I would also take the pads out of the caliper and put them back in? Now those breaks and pads (if I am not mistaken) are a little tougher then normal. They also have a "break-in" surface correct? There could be a possibility you need to "seat" them in and let them find their groove on the disk and they will smooth out? Either way I think you will take the right action with taking them apart and re-installing them.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
going to re-install them tomorrow hopefully its nothing too bad. if the rotors are warped should i throw the one that i took off back on (until i can get the new ones replaced). yea the pads have the "break in" surface but i dont think that much vibration should come from just that. can anyone confirm that?

thanks man

·
Registered
571 Posts
rotors are warped my drilled and slotted ones had the same shake when i first put them on i cut them on the brake lathe and now they r fine

·
Registered
837 Posts
I had this problem a while back, my oem brakes started shuttering real bad while braking so I decided to upgrade to EBC sport slot rotors and Greenstuff pads. The vibration went a way for a day then came right back, so I took the EBC rotors in and had them turned (after they turned them half of the slots weren't visible anymore), the vibration went away for a day or two then came back. So I took the oem rotors in and had them turned and swapped out the EBCs for the oems, they lasted a week then the vibration came back. At this point I was too pissed off to mess with my brakes anymore so I just put up with it, but a month or so later we had a heavy snow/sleet that I had to drive in (about 650 miles), ever since, the brakes have gotten smoother and now they feel perfect. I have no explanation for this but I'm damn glad it doesn't shutter anymore. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
My suggestion would be to stay away from EBC, as I hear little good about them (and that's usually from ricers) and a lot bad about them (usually from people who track their cars).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts