8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I have a 2007 Honda Civic EX 4-door automatic sedan with 32K miles. Took in at the dealer for state inspection and asked for transmission drain and refill. New service advisor put in request for trannie flush and technician did the flush.

After I questioned the technician, he replied that Honda does not recommend a flush on high mileage cars but for my car which was a low mileage car, flush is fine.

Any thoughts on this? Is car ok? Should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
606 Posts
A lot of people do "flushes" even though the ATF maintenance only calls for a "change". I doubt it will hurt anything by doing it once, but the tranny is designed to run off of "drained" fluid, so just make sure they do it right next time, or do it yourself, and you should be cool.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
are you serious?
you actually think the dealer did more harm than good by flushing your tranny rather than just drain/refill?

as long as they didnt charge you for a flush, thank your dealer. they did a service that should of costed you much more.

·
Registered
606 Posts
are you serious?
you actually think the dealer did more harm than good by flushing your tranny rather than just drain/refill?

as long as they didnt charge you for a flush, thank your dealer. they did a service that should of costed you much more.
If the order was put in for a flush, I'm sure he was charged for a flush. I don't see a way the wires could've gotten crossed when it comes to money. And yes, it would've cost you a lot more, and if you were charged it, I hope you threw a fit.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
was charged only for drain and fill..normally it is $180 odd, had a coupon for $89.95...the service advisor is a new person and I'm sure she made a mistake...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
are you serious?

What I'd heard about flush is that it has an adverse effect on trannie/torque convertor. So yes, even if a dealer uses an expensive procedure, if there is a chance of it damaging my car then it is of no use to me.

I think I was saved by using the coupon for drain and fill. Advisor must have mistakenly used wrong code for this.

But if the flush does no harm to my car then what the heck.. at least I got something out of the dealer who has made me run round in circles during my previous visits (I mistakenly got their 60K mile service plan when I bought the car new in 2007).

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
They must use a brand new funnel, wash, wax, and vacuum your car, and give you a porterhouse and loaded baked potato while you wait.
:word:
seriously.
remove 1 bolt. wait 5 minutes for fluid to drain. replace bolt. add $5-10 worth of fluid. bill for 10x profit.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:word:
seriously.
remove 1 bolt. wait 5 minutes for fluid to drain. replace bolt. add $5-10 worth of fluid. bill for 10x profit.
that is why I waited for the coupon at $89.99 instead of the normal price of $180 odd. And since I used the coupon there was no doubt as to what service I wanted. Else they would have charged me god knows how much for flush..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
id bet you do.
even at $89.99 you got ripped off (if you actually were to of gotten a drain/fill).

Seeing what is done and all that, what you say is true. But for mechanically challenged people I think $89.99 (of course I had to wait for the coupon) is a better alternative than seeing people go in for $180 odd drain and fill.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
so to add another question to this, maybe off topic, so there is no reason to do a flush on a A/t?, just drain and refill? I was gonna just do what the manual recommended and get 6 qts. and drain one time and refil and do the procedure it shows and then drain and refill again. But if all I have to do is drain and re-fill then that makes my life a whole lot easier.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
so to add another question to this, maybe off topic, so there is no reason to do a flush on a A/t?, just drain and refill? I was gonna just do what the manual recommended and get 6 qts. and drain one time and refil and do the procedure it shows and then drain and refill again. But if all I have to do is drain and re-fill then that makes my life a whole lot easier.
you are supposed to flush it. but its not neceesary to do at such a low mileage.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts