8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I'd like to say hello to all forum members. I am looking to buy a Civic Si (South America version) and have two options available in the market right now.
Option A: 2008 red Civic Si sedan with 52k miles, very nice on pictures. It has only some modifications in the exhaust and front springs, as per the seller states. Stock engine. Visit to the car pending.

Option B: 2010 dark grey Civic Si sedan 110k miles. Saw it in person, it has some details on the paint, no crash, some irregular gaps in the panels, interior in decent shape for the years. Stock everything.

2008 is asking 2k more than the 2010.

I like a lot more the grey color with the version 2 front bumper, but red one have 50k miles less. What are your thoughts guys ?
I would appreciate your comments!

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Grille

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Grille

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there!

My vote would go to the 2010, as 2008 and older models have been known to develop cracked blocks when they get up in mileage. Not saying it will happen, but it might. My 2008 FA5 had a cracked block and I had to swap it at 193,000 miles.

There was never a recall like there was for the r18 engines from those years, but if you look around this forum and others you'll find several people mentioning that it happened to their K20. Honda fixed the casting of the r18 in the late 2009+ engines, and I think I read somewhere they improved the K20 as well. At any rate I've never heard of a 2010+ Si having a cracked block. Apparently the transmission also has some improvements.

I wouldn't worry too much about the extra miles, these cars should last forever unless you never change the oil. Or your block cracks...

Anyway, hope something works out. These cars are a blast. Enjoy!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome reply! Thanks for all the details, I have read about the transmissions problems as well. Did not know about the cracked blocks, I plan having this car forever but 193k miles is a lot. I will be daily driving it but not commuting much however, at some point I will reach 193k miles, it is something to take into account for sure.

I found another option C, 2009 dark grey Civic Si sedan, same price the 2010 but this one have 120k miles on the clock. Some of the pros in this one is that most of the miles were done in the highway and all services to the current date have been done in a Honda official center. Exterior is in superb condition for the years as well.

Keep the comments coming!

·
Registered
4 Posts
To be honest I wouldn't pay too much attention to the miles on these cars as a big determining factor to which one you should purchase. Obviously miles matter but what I mean is that I'd go by the condition of the car over mileage. I had an 07 Coupe with 150,000 miles before I sold it that drove like a car with 50,000 and have an 07 Sedan at the moment in immaculate condition at 160,000 miles. Sure at that mileage you'll be paying a little extra on replacing common wear items but in my opinion the 2009 grey Sedan sounds like the best buy. If you're planning on keeping the car forever then you'll get up to high mileage anyway, and if you plan on modding the car at all might as well replace parts with 120,000 miles on them as opposed to 50,000. (Sedan below just because)
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went to see the red 2008 Civic and it is in mint condition all around. The first owner were a couple of elder people, it was maintained until the second owner in an official Honda service center until 2017. Services were made around once a year because most of its time was stored in a garage.

Second owner loves the car, while testing he got pissed off if he ran over a shallow pond of water and fender splash shields got dirt. Car have received a lot of care. He flew over the gears with just the fingers and nothing happened, no grinding ever.

My only concern is the possibility of block cracking, I have checked all sites(honda recalls, vehicle history) I could find using the chassis number printed under the passenger sit. Number start with 93HF

I am not sure if only north America K20Z engines were affected by block cracking.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Engine block crack happening on the K20 is extremely rare because most of them happen due to abuse. It’s not like the infamous 06-08 R18 blocks that were needing to be replaced like crazy back in the early days of the 8th gen series. Don’t worry about the K20 block - it will be fine as long as it’s been driven by a mature owner.

For the red one, ask if the transmission has had any work to it due to the 3rd gear pop. If that problem is eliminated you will most likely be fine with that year.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He does not recall any issue with any gear, I mentioned specifically the 3rd gear and he said that never any gear popped. While testing the car on the road, it was drove slow..2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, 4th to 3rd, it was also drove fast too, all times gears stayed were they have to.

Maybe the first owner made the fix and was never mentioned to the current one.

I have decided to go for the red one, it is a mean little machine. Puts a smile on your face when you start it up and get a shot of adrenaline when VTec kicks in. :cool:

·
Registered
143 Posts
The Crack blocking is very very rare and plus the 2008 and 2010 have the same motor in them the k20z3 06-11 have the same motor and trans, only difference is 06 doesn't have vsa and 07-11 have vsa I know because I have an 06 and it doesn't have vsa but the vsa started on 07. They have the same motor, same transmission and are 6 speed manual or automatic. I'd honestly go with the 08 because it is a 8th gen just like the 2010. You can get the high mileage 2010 and do a k24 swap which is basically a plug and play motor swap only a couple differences and you only have to change a couple things like the knock sensor down by the starter and adding a passenger side motor mount. I k24 swapped my 06 si coupe and it's a beast, much more torque and definitely worth it. Anyways man do what you want to do but I highly suggest going with the low miles 08 as the 10.is still a 8th gen and the blocks cracking is very very rare which is why honda never issued a recall on them or anything like that, and like I said the only difference in the 8th gens are the vsa for 07-11 since 06 doesn't and a couple other small things. My car had 240k on it before I did a k24 swap and the motor was still in great shape because it was treated very well by the previous owner and was majority of highway miles. It only really burned oil if I got in vtec a lot which I don't do a lot but these cars are solid and bet reliable. The only downside to 8th gens are the paint as its known to get the crows feet and clear coat issues and electrical issues with the headunit and interior lighting. Other than that they are solid!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Rally Red is one of the best looking colors on a Civic IMO. Looks great with bronze or gold rims as well. Good luck. Sounds like you found a winner.
Hell ya my 06 si is rallye red and it is a sick color. I haven't put aftermarket rims on her yet as I'm going for coilovers first but I was thinking some gold or white rims would pop pretty nice. Obviously black would be sick but it's so common and you don't red with gold or red with white rims.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the detailed and informative responses.

2010 had some lines mismatching, also the driver side had some type of repair/paint job because all lines were off and the driver door was a little loose and not flush. It was not worth a swap because the body needed some love.
Knowing that 08 will not have any kind of cracking issues makes me feel it is indeed the right choice. This week I will be stating the paperwork

The current black rims look nice to me, plus they are brand new.. not a single curb rash. The only mods I am planning to do is adding some type of backup camera(without drilling if possible) ,adding a Bluetooth kit, and replacing the dash lights for the radio and cooling with some led ones.
Other than that I will keep it stock as much as I can.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Important notes. That cast crack issue is on all years of the k20z3 engine. Transmission stoutness is 100% the same on all years. Mine cracked at 100k miles on my 08 si sedan.

i highly recommend purchasing the lowest mile sedan si. You will be very pleased. $700 k24a2 swap is an easy boltin replacement that revs to 8.4K no problem if your z3 cracks. Gl op

·
Registered
221 Posts
I personally like the pre facelift.
With 50k miles I think theres a lesser chance of abuse, less people learning stick shift on the car, inexperienced drivers borrowing the car , etc…

That’s what makes or breaks these cars once they hit 140k+. No doubt civics at 100k are baby miles but you want to know as much as you can and have that mileage be your own if you want to keep this car for a long time with minimal maintenance and worry of rebuilds around the corner.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think this car will be considered a classic car in the future. Buying the 2008 and taking good care of it with mature driving will allow me to sell the car for a good price in case needed.
Not planning to do any drag racing or track days, just enjoy the car with care for me, the car and other drivers.

As for the engine cracks you asked @vis1onero , just do a google search for "honda civic 2006 2011 engine block crack" and you will find lots of images and forum entries about that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Where are you guys finding cracks on the blocks? I think i heard somewhere that the water pump housing area was a weak spot.
Yes, that’s right where mine cracked. There were cracks in the water passage behind the water pump housing, and they extended out to the front of the block causing coolant to leak out just to the left of the knock sensor. Was also mixing coolant and oil. Not cool…

(Previous owner tried to fix it with JB weld which you can kind of see in the picture. Engine was already cracked when I bought the car at 193k miles)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts