8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of xtreme HID's by xenon depot. They've been in for about 3 years now so when one of the lights went out i assumed that was just a routine problem. Unfortunately its not that easy when it comes to me. Turns out the little box that says high voltage attached to the ballast got filled with water and shorted out.

This is kinda a question for you electronic wizzes. If I can figure out a way to let it dry out (like a wet phone), do you think it will work again or am i SOL on this. The only water that got in it is rain (hopefully not acid rain) so i don't really have to worry about salt water messing up the wiring inside.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
I think you are SOL............but give it a try you never know it might work again but I would not count on it (IMO)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Did you send email to them and ask? I kind of remember Xenon Depot ballasts are all fully potted and water shouldn't get in. If it does have water inside, it may be a defect which they probably will cover it.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there is a seal on the side where the water is in, but im not sure if it got into the electronics also. The other headlight is dry and still works fine.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just buy a new set of ballasts instead of risking further damage(ie: short, burning wires,etc) down the road. Its a cheap investment for your peace of mind. Ballasts can be found for under $50 nowadays!

-Aaron

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
I would buy a new ballast..If its to much buy a new set off ebay. I personally spent about 100$ on my HIDS..so I ordered a set off ebay for 39.99 shipped off ebay for a friend. I thought eh its going to be junk. Looks just like mine and comes with a 1year warranty!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
make sure you unplug the hid bulb on that side from the wiring. in fact do it on both ends (to the bulb and before the ballast) so you don't screw anything else up. :)

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
make sure you unplug the hid bulb on that side from the wiring. in fact do it on both ends (to the bulb and before the ballast) so you don't screw anything else up. :)
Already did that when I had the bumper off. I did order a whole new kit for $50 with 6000k (bright white) bulbs. I have an extra set of bulbs now also just in case the new ones burn out to quick and i'm pretty sure the old ones still work but they are 8000k and are becoming way too blue for me as they wear out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts