8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright i've been battling back and forth between the Pioneer Avic D3 and the Alpine W205. I've decided to stick with the Alpine W205. I like the look and features more. I really don't need a navi either, I've read a lot of problems with the Avic-D3 navi anyways.

My problem is finding which parts to use to be sure the navi fits flush....

Like this:
PS: The thread I found this in...the guy said he has no idea what dash kit/trim piece they used. If anyone knows what/where I can get these parts seen in this picture I would greatly appreciate it because I love the look of this setup.

NOT THIS: (sorry bikinipunk)

Is it just me or these look different right? The first is flush the 2nd is poking out...not my taste.

anyways if anyone has any pointers as to how I can get my setup to look like the first picture I would greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Dashes are different, i can by looking at the dash kit itself. Note the first has a what looks to be a trim ring built into. My doesn't have that. Also note that even the air vents are designed differently. Mine's OEM. Looks like the other is metra or some other aftermarket dash.

As for it poking out, I sit all the way back in my seat. 1" deeper and I'd be having scoot my seat up or have to reach pretty far to get to the screen.

You can drill the mounting brackets so that there are new holes to screw the h/u in place.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't you think #1 looks more flush though? I'm not trying to bash your install in anyway, it's just not my taste. I give you +1 on your unit though. How's it treating you? Was it all you expected?

That's true...reaching for the unit is going to be a pain in the ass I didn't think about that....I just wish I knew what dash piece hes using....I've heard bad things about the Metra kit....

Bikini do you have any more pics of your unit installed? diff angles etc?

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I totally agree, the flush mount looks much better. I could've done that but for reasons I stated earlier, I didn't.

I'd guess his is an aftermarket dash altogether, rather than OEM w/aftermarket trim. There's a huge difference if you look at the air vents and the DD opening. It's easy to spot.

As for the unit itself; it's nice. Not the best thing ever but it gets the job done. I don't watch DVD's, and I mainly bought this unit to control the h701 processor and have quicker iPod connectivity.

Edit: I keep misspelling crap and my sentences aren't making sense. You'll have to forgive me. I just had back surgery yesterday and still feel disoriented.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I found what I like.....I just need to figure out where the trim piece came from??...

This guy said he used the Honda OEM kit. Nice and clean

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
You just need the trim piece for the oem dash then.

I bought one from the Accord dash kit, but can't remember the model #. Probably the same thing he used. Like I said, mounting it flush isn't hard. You just need to drill a couple more holes in the mounting brackets so that everything lines up correctly.

My flip-out was done this way, but since it came up & out I didn't have to mount it closer to me, and it sat flush.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
#1 is Metra

#2 is OEM

I have both, and I'm using the OEM one because the Metra isn't up to the quality of the OEM Honda part. Weak paint, different texture, etc.

The actual w205 is positioned similarly. It's just that the Metra kit has a different trim ring. It is designed differently from the OEM one.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
so what exactly do you need to order from honda? The dash piece for the oem navi? and the brackets?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts