8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

My 2008 Civic Si Sedan front passenger spring snap and I need a replacement strut. I have a set from 2014 Si sedan sitting in my garage. So, I just install it today. I am aware that the mounting holes are bigger in 9th gen and there is a sway bar link hole which we don't use in 8th gen. Other than this, it should be a straight bolt on.

Once I have everything installed, I notice that the wheel knuckle is not straight, it is protruding out. What could be the problem? Is it the 9th gen strut is not compatible? Might be holes position is off. But I have read someone did that with no issue. I am really have no idea.

Since then, I have been looking for 8th gen Si sedan but have a hard time finding one. I can see a lot of choices for 8th gen Si coupe but not for sedan. Can I order the coupe and put it on sedan? By the way, I am from Toronto, Canada. So, parts are not abundant as compare to US.

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hello All,

My 2008 Civic Si Sedan front passenger spring snap and I need a replacement strut. I have a set from 2014 Si sedan sitting in my garage. So, I just install it today. I am aware that the mounting holes are bigger in 9th gen and there is a sway bar link hole which we don't use in 8th gen. Other than this, it should be a straight bolt on.

Once I have everything installed, I notice that the wheel knuckle is not straight, it is protruding out. What could be the problem? Is it the 9th gen strut is not compatible? Might be holes position is off. But I have read someone did that with no issue. I am really have no idea.

Since then, I have been looking for 8th gen Si sedan but have a hard time finding one. I can see a lot of choices for 8th gen Si coupe but not for sedan. Can I order the coupe and put it on sedan? By the way, I am from Toronto, Canada. So, parts are not abundant as compare to US.

Thanks in advance.
I believe the strut is interchangeable, but the coupe has different spring rates. I would guess a CSX is a direct swap for a FA5

· Registered
44 Posts
Honda engineering dials in their struts to fit and function as designed by weight and model/generation. Just because it can fit doesn't mean you should do it. Understandably if you are just trying to save money and get by go for it. But, if you want the best ride and handling, get the correct exact matching strut.
I have over 600k miles, and I've tried aftermarket, and my experience is crystal clear, OEM Honda struts are SUPERIOR by far.
I currently have OEM Honda struts from a matching salvaged 8th gen coupe that only had 50k miles, and they still ride fantastically well, and feel like new. I needed struts and at the time I didn't have new OEM money. I found them on car-parts dot com btw. I got the pair for about $50 back in 2020, best deal ever.
Bottom line, stay OEM, stay to the same vehicle, in my opinion that's the way to go.

· Registered
1,308 Posts
Coupe and Sedan are both different. You will get a clunking/pop sound if you use the coupe strut for a sedan. Also I wouldn't be using the 2014 suspension because the holes for the knuckle to strut bolts are bigger. I know this because i'm currently using TruHart shocks specific for my lowering springs (Eibach pro-kit) and they are compatible for both 8th and 9th gen civic. I'm using specific washers that TruHart supplied in order for my struts to be compatible for my 8th gen EX Sedan (9th gen doesn't need them due to the bolts being bigger).

If you're eager to keep the 9th gen strut, contact TruHart and obtain the special washers for the knuckle/strut bolts. They might be able to ship to Canada.
Wood Table Tableware Gas Glass

You're saying your factory spring snapped? Try to find a used eBay replacement and re-use your strut top hat (you can take it apart carefully and re-grease the bearings for no noise). KYB individual strut replacement and you're set (non-Si and Si are different due to spring rates, be careful).

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all the replies. 8th gen and 9th gen struts are not the compatible, other than different hole sizes, 9th gen is about an inch longer at least for the pair that I have. I might be able to compress the springs to shorten it, but not feel comfortable doing that. Lesson learned.
My best next option is to get an used pair. I managed to locate a set (L+R) from a local JDM part store for about $300 Canadian. They said they were taken from an JDM import. A bit over my budget but will give them a visit tomorrow. Thanks for all the helps.

· Registered
1,308 Posts
Good luck. I'm sure its an inch longer because OEM size is probably different. My special shocks were listed for an 06-15 Civic but any lowering spring can be used. Maybe its the spring that makes it sit 1 inch higher...

· Registered
101 Posts
Coupe and Sedan are both different. You will get a clunking/pop sound if you use the coupe strut for a sedan.
I bought my Si sedan with 130k miles on it, and it's a rebuilt title. I have this clunk and popping sound in the suspension and can't for the life of me figure it out. Everything is tight and nothing is torn. End links are brand new. I didn't bother checking the strut part numbers yet, but it may be possible they installed the coupe struts.

I'm curious if you know why the coupe struts cause this sound, are they longer or something?

· Registered
1,308 Posts
Not sure why coupe and sedan are different but i'm guessing the geometry of the struts may be slightly different. Check your tophats - maybe they need replacing or re-grease (would do this first). Take apart the strut and separate the tophat bearing from the mount and re-grease with either lithium or heavy grease. Careful because those small bearings will run off and disappear. This made both mounts shut up but driver side eventually kept clunking so I ended up replacing both parts with OEM. Haven't installed them yet because my OEM setup is on the car for winter but my eibach springs will go back in soon.

· Registered
101 Posts
Not sure why coupe and sedan are different but i'm guessing the geometry of the struts may be slightly different. Check your tophats - maybe they need replacing or re-grease (would do this first). Take apart the strut and separate the tophat bearing from the mount and re-grease with either lithium or heavy grease. Careful because those small bearings will run off and disappear. This made both mounts shut up but driver side eventually kept clunking so I ended up replacing both parts with OEM. Haven't installed them yet because my OEM setup is on the car for winter but my eibach springs will go back in soon.
I'll probably buy the TEIN Enduro Pro Plus struts for the front and get all new bearings and top hats when I get my tax return. It's like $330 for both front struts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts