8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm a new civic owner...EX MT galaxy gray. I hope nobody minds me asking a few nub questions here.

1. Is leaving the car in 1st gear when parked really necessary?

2. I'm thinking about adding the si spoiler...does anyone know if this adds significant improvement in performance?...mainly doing it for the looks but i was curious

3. At low speeds with first gear I have to keep the clutch slightly in order to keep the car moving smoothly...if i dont... any tiny movement of the gas pedal makes the car overreact...is this normal...it didn't happen on a 96 corolla MT i drove?

4. Engine braking...good? bad? necessary?

5. Does a completely depressed clutch still wear while the car is in motion?

6. Generally speaking when doing a downshift...one should match rpm at 1k rpm higher than the higher gear for a smooth shift yes?

7. Heel-and-Toe...is this especially hard to do with the civic pedals or is it just me...?

thanx a bunch guys...hope to get to know ya

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
1. Not EXACTLY, but it will help prevent your car from rolling off in case your handbrake doesn't work.

2. I don't think it adds ANY performance -- if it does, it will be at speeds exceeding what you can normally drive at.

3. DBW seems to be rather picky. But it's normal.

4. Brakes are cheaper to replace. Just keep it in gear, let it rev down, but use your brake.

5. You're going to be more concerned about the throw bearing, but no, the clutch itself won't wear.

6. I have an Si, so I can't really answer this. Drive by feel.

7. It's hard to do it traditionally for some people. It's easy for me to do, but some people just use either side of their feet to tap both the gas and brake.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Just adding on to Izzy:

6. Check your gear ratios and figure out the matching RPMs, or just drive around a while and you'll notice the common combos. For example, in my Si, 3k RPM in 3rd gear = 30mph... etc.

7. If your pedals are same as Si, I would recommend trying to use your toe to break and heel to gas, that worked for me.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Oh, and this section of the forum is usually just for posting pictures of your car and saying hi.

Questions like yours would probably get more response in the technical section, but Izzy already answered all of them.. so just FYI in the future :)

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Welcome to the boards. Now that you got your questions answered, maybe you can post some pictures of your car.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I downshift b/c its not gonna put enough wear on the transmission to have to replace it anytime soon. Brakes can get expensive when you have to replace them very often. I don heel-toe cuz i am a lazy ************.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts