8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. The wife and I currently own an 03 EX. I am not very pleased with it, and am considering trading up for the 06. I am pretty impressed with the design.

I have had a few nice cars as well. We just sold a fast ass 04 Evo, and prior to that was a pimped out 02 WRX.

I decided that economy and affordability were principles of which I value greatly.

My question is, do you feel that this car warrants an upgrade from the 03? From where I stand now, I do believe so.

Just thought I would show a shout out from Lower Alabama and the home of Army Aviation.

·
Registered
21,304 Posts
Hi FlyArmy and welcome! :wavey:

Cool!! You had an Evo!! I really like those cars!! :thumb:

That's nice you're thinking about trading your 03 EX for the 06 Si. From what I've seen and heard, this new Si is supposed to be quite the car!!

I know I plan on getting one! :driving: :D

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
welcome to the site. I guess to further help your decision, I'd ask you a few questions. What do you dislike about your 03? What are you looking to gain over the 03? Answering those questions would probably help you decide maybe? I know quite a few people want the new SI because of the power increases and new style. The previous SI's didn't sell quite as well as they expected. I think the newer SI will sell better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, to start, it has a horrible rattle in the passenger a pillar that has been driving us nuts for the 3 years we have owned the car. The center console latch just snapped last week, and it is vastly underpowered.

The paint is crappy as well.

Mehcanically, it is a gem. We have 50K miles on her and she hasn't burned a drop of oil. On the same note, the factory warranty sucks arse.

The interior build quality is crap and the road noise is excessive.

I even searched far and wide for a Japan built Civic, because my mother's Canadian built model has poor tolerances on the body lines and the interior.

I think the car will run forever, and it damn well better for the price, but I am just not impressed.

It is between the new EX, the Mazda 3, and the new SI. I don't know which one we will be buying.

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
I think most 7thgen owners would say they have experienced the same things you have. A lot of 7thgen owners complained about the rattles either in the dash or a pillars. Another common complaint is the road noise. Part of this issue can be addressed with a nice set of tires, but it doesn't solve it completely. I know quite a few people have taken their seats out of their 7thgens and then run dynomat to help the sound issues.

As far as power - yeah. The 7thgens aren't really power vehicles. They are more geared for great fuel economy. If you want more power - I'd look into the SI. The regular EX won't be a powerhouse vehicle. I have a feeling it won't solve your need for power. It only has moderate gains on power over the 7thgen - but looks to be slightly heavier in weight. So it probably won't be worth it if you want more hp.

As far as the warranty goes - I think you answered your own question. "Mechanically, it's a gem. We have 50k miles on her and she hasn't burned a drop of oil."

Honda knows that their cars have a great reputation. They don't need to offer a warranty higher than 3yr 36k miles. Yes things do break over time, but they are known for having reliable engines. I don't see them changing their warranty any time soon personally.

If you want a power vehicle I would look into the new SI over the mazda 3 even. If you like to mod cars, their will always be more stuff out for the new civic than the 3. Or if you like 2dr cars - look toward the RSX maybe.

Hope that helps out some.

·
El Presidente'
849 Posts
I might be able to give some help.
I own a Mazda 6S and my wife has a new Honda CRV. I think that the Honda is really solid and I am very impressed with it so far.
I have driven the Mazda 3 and it was a very fun little car. It will scoot for you. I liked the design of the interior too. But we both know that the Mazda 3 will not have nor does have the same upgrades as a CIVIC. Civic seems to be the universal car as far as any upgrades. That might sway you too.
Get a MazdaSpeed 6. They fly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts