8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, been browsing the site alot lately and researching as much as I could on the new Civic SI...and originally I must say, I was skeptic. But from the reviews, and seeing videos of it in motion, and a few of the new Coupes in person i've fallen in love with the new style. I currently own a 2004 Accord Coupe V6 EX...unfortunately automatic. It's red, lowered on HFP suspension and riding on Nitto 255's w/ TSW 17'' Catalunya rims. I love my car to death, but recently i've had the distinct urge to finally go through with getting a manual. Problem, parents currently pay for not only the note, but also the insurance. Originally we looked at the RSX-S, but the 6 speed threw off my father since he had just had a serious knee injury and would not have been able to use the clutch. Since I would be occasionally sharing the car with him until college, it was decided to get the Accord. I was upset to say the least, I had been dead set on the RSX, but the Accord is a great vehicle...just not standard. Anyways, the new SI is expected soon...and its getting closer to graduation by the day. Since the car will be mine, i've taken it upon myself to start researching (wishing) trade ins. The car is in EXCELLENT condition, and is basically the HFP EX V6 with different rims/tires. I'm, however, unsure how trade ins work. We put 16K down on the car and got it for 25,000 completely as is. The car has 11,280 miles on it and runs like a charm. I'm suspecting that trading in would give me possibly 20-22,000...which from the way the new SI's are being priced should be perfect right? If anyone has any ideas of how a trade in would work for this, or any information that would help me just let me know. I also need some convincing facts to tide the rentals into actually doing this...so any help is appreciated.

Anyways, love the site and looks like a great community is forming here! Talk more later.

·
Registered
21,304 Posts
Welcome, Torched!

The new si sure would be a nice graduation gift!

As far as trading in your Accord you might want to check out www.kbb.com to get a good idea on what your car is worth.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Welcome... I too have a 7th gen Accord (except mine is a 6 speed :D) , but can't wait for the Si. I think you'd be hard pressed to get 22k trade on your Accord, unless you find a dealer willing to help you out. Like 2fast4u2 said, try www.kbb.com or www.nada.com for an idea about the trade in value (nada is higher for the accord).

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
well something also that needs to be looked into is - are you paying on it now? I'm guessing you are making payments on the car now, since you put 16k down on a 25k car.

What you need to find out - is how much is left on the car to pay off. Say you have 5k to pay off on the car and the dealer wants to give you 20k for your car. Really you'd only get 15k back in your pocket. They pay the bank back the other money to get the title to your car. Does that make sense? If the car was paid off, you'd get the whole amount back. But I'm guessing you're making payments on it still?

So I'd find out who the loan is through - honda, a bank, or whatever. They can give you a payoff amount for like 10 days or whatever. That tells you how much you would have to pay the bank to own the car as of that time period. See it always is changing because of interest. Then I'd got to www.kbb.com and look up your car value. It will give you 3 values for your car.

You can see what it's worth if you trade it to the dealer - worst price
what it would be worth if you sell the car yourself - private - best price
what you are likely to find your car priced on a dealership lot at - what they will probably sell your car for if you trade it in.

Put all of your options on and see what you get. On the last step - mark it in "good" condition. I'll just tell you from personal experience, no matter how imaculate it is - they won't usually do any better than "Good" condition. It's just their way of giving you less for your car. Selling it in the paper or whatever will obviously make you the best money, but you obviously have to wait around till someone buys the car.

Hope that helps some

1 - 4 of 4 Posts