8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to work on my heel toe skills but it seems sort of difficult to reach the gas with my heel cuz the brake pedal sits a bit closer. Any tips to get better at it would be appreciated.

Also can someone tell me what the vtec powerband rpms are on the r18s?

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Simple search would have pulled up the answer.

And yes your power range is designed for fuel economy not performance.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry on my iPhone and the search doesn't work cuz it's retarded and I'm sitting here bored off my ass in jury dutyya feel me?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Just use the right side of your right foot to blip the throttle. I blip the throttle with that bone under my pinky toe. That way, I'm just twisting my foot instead of bending my ankle.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Heel-toe is a bit of a misnomer. It's a reference to the position the foot had to be in to operate the pedals simultaneously before auto manufacturers started moving the brake and gas pedals close together. Now it could just as easily be called left-side-of-foot-right-side-of-foot, but I guess heel-toe rolls off the tongue more easily.

·
Registered
368 Posts
try it bare foot first cause the way our pedals are positioned its a lil hard not to over brake but once u grasp the trick then u can start whith some shoes on

·
Registered
205 Posts
i find it hard w/ the civic's pedal position. but what i do is, i use the ball of my right foot for the brakes and twist a little outward and hit the throttle w/ my big toe. the reason i do it this way is because i have a big foot, size 13 shoe. i guess its just whatever your most comfortable w/.

·
Banned
13,587 Posts
I find it really hard to hell-toe in the Honda but I am also 6'1 with a inseam of 36 and a shoe size of 12, so I just roll with it and downshift when I need to and make sure my revs are not too high.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
i finally started doing this pretty good after talking to my english teacher who used to race formula 4 (inline4) cars a while ago (he also drove the car with a non snycro tranny)...i find it pretty easy now...just practice it in DD situations like coming to a stop when no one else is around

powerband = anywhere above 4-4.5k...but dont worry about powerband when you are first learning the technique

make sure you can rev match really good before you try this because it is multi tasking

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
the pedals are perfect IMO...i tried to heel toe on my friends volvo and the pedals were really too far apart...but that car he drives is much better for straight line speed

·
Banned
13,587 Posts
The pedals are too close for me, but I have my own method for shifting. Point and shoot it helps to know your car for this method.

·
Banned
13,587 Posts
what??? lol i dont udnerstand what your saying

LOL, Ok I got a good example. One of the roads I drive on there is a somewhat straight section where I can hit 80 but for the corner at the end I need to be no more than 50 or I crash and burn.

So what I do, since I can't heel toe and hate to rev match is come into the corner in 4th doing 80 as I get near the corner I drop it into 3rd and slowly let off the clutch hear the motor rev up and I start to slow down when my foot is off the clutch I continue with my corner its all one smooth motion. Its easier said than done, but it works for me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts