8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was vacuming my back seat today and noticed heavy grease/tar residue on the back seat arm rests on both sides (where you have the cup holders). When I wiped them with towel it was nasty tarish black. Then I noticed the whole back seat is covered with that stuff. I haven't examined the fabric yet but I have a bad feeling that the fabric has also been contaminated with this stuff because it looks prety dark compare to the front seats. I don't know what to make from all this. It seems like the whole back seat is being invated by this tarish grease. Right now I feel like I have been in the Twilight Zone.
Has anybody had this experience? wtf could this stuff be comming from? :xyxnervou

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
WTF? weird..can you post a pic? did anyone sit back there recently?

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
break clean....

it works miricals on grease oil or any stain in fabric... its actuly desinged by dryclaners and abducted into the automotice industry in arisol forum, use some paper towel and cup the stain from the back and use the break clean to blast the whatever into the papertowel then use another one to dab the break clean up, do not wipe... Spray and dab this way you lift the stain and not smear it further...

BREAKCLEAN!!! (kft313)

get wurth or kleanflow they are the best, and make sure that its kft313, and not kft325, 325 is greasy all in it self and not flamable, and anything that isnt flamable is just crap!

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
oh if its tar you need to freeze it, like with dry ice...

A trick you can use is to get compressed air in a can and hold it upside down, this blasts freazing cold stuff and this is what you want, use the whole can and once the tar(if thats what it is and the breakclean didnt get it out) chip it away, you get rid of gum the same way...

Can you tell i worked with detailers???

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actualy it is not tar. Its more like a black film (more like grease).
I do have a can of break cleaner/degreaser. Would that work also or do I need to get the breakclean kft313? I have managed to clean all the plastic around the seats but haven't done anything with the fabric yet.
I did not understand exactly how your procedure is. Are you saying that just spray and dab?
Could you give more explanation regarding the following statement you made?
"use some paper towel and cup the stain from the back and use the break clean to blast the whatever into the papertowel then use another one to dab the break clean up"
Thanks.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I Googled breakclean, kleanflow & kft313 and got nothing.
The only thing that I could find was wurth. Do they make this product also?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whocares05050 said:
Can you post a picture?
I cleaned it all stuff off. I should have taken it straight to the dealer without touching anything (my bad). it was most concentrated on the side arm rests (both sides). looked like some kind of grease was leaking from inside where the armrests meet the side body.

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
ok i gathered some brake cleans that i had laying around and took a picture...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could you explain your procedure one more time? I could not understand exactly how to do this (cleaning the fabric). Thanx.

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
sure... works with anything with grease or oil on it, like shirts pants or seats and floormats...

you hold a rag or paper towel behind your stain ready to catch the spray, then you spray the brake clean at the stain towards the papertowel the brake clean comes out with some force and will blast the greast off the fabric... you dont want to spray it onto something else...

then take a fresh rag or paper towel to dab up the rest, then blast the area with more brake clean and dab again...

if you rub instead or dabbing and pressing down then the stain might just spread, this is alot like other stains like on shirts...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanx for the advice. Worked magically on grease spots.
Is this stuff safe on plastic? I can think of a few grease spots on plastic that nothing seems to work.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Mateen said:
Has anybody had this experience? wtf could this stuff be comming from? :xyxnervou

Do You have a 4 door? It sounds like the stuff that they use to seal the inner liners down. Black and sticky? Check your door liners where they meet the door, and your open seals and door seals. when people get in and out, they sometimes rub those areas, if they rub the stuff, it gets transfered to the seat. That stuff stays soft and sticky for quite a while.

*EDIT* any of that black goop that you find that is not behind the door skin, doesn't belong so clean it off with a paint, rubber,or plastic safe cleaner. I dont know if the afore mentioned stuff is safe on paint or not so make sure.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
How many miles on the car? Do you always have your windows down? At first I was thinking some type of sealant from the factory but then you mentioned it was more of a black film all over the plastic near the window. Here's what happened to a few of my cars.

I drive a lot of highways and so does my Mother, I put 40k miles on my last car in 1.5 years and pretty much always had my RR windowdown a little bit as long as it wasn't raining. A black film started collecting on the headliner and the plastic near the window where the air passed by, my mother drives the same way and her car has a similar area of dirt. I don't know what it is, but I assume it's road dirt / pollution / exhaust fumes??

My Si has a black interior but my Ford was all tan and my Mom's Toyota is light grey.

Does that seem to be like the dirt your getting?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I have an 06 ex coupe 15Kmiles. The back seat arm rests had this black greasy liquid (looked like a mix of water and grease). The stuf was comming out of the red line in the picture.
There was also a black film on the panel marked in green.
The only thing I can think of is that something was leaking from dehind that panel. Is there anything that is greased up back there that could leak like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Mateen said:
I have an 06 ex coupe 15Kmiles. The back seat arm rests had this black greasy liquid (looked like a mix of water and grease). The stuf was comming out of the red line in the picture.
There was also a black film on the panel marked in green.
The only thing I can think of is that something was leaking from dehind that panel. Is there anything that is greased up back there that could leak like this?

Wierd, did you happen to get your windows tinted? Anyone spill anything?
I got my windows tinted and they left soap crap all in that same area.

Only other thing I could possibly think of is the black tar crap that's behind door panels holding the plastic moisture shield on.

I'm out of ideas.

·
Registered
631 Posts
AAAAHHH!!!:SHOCKED: It's a Demon possesed car! :lildevil: Run quick get away!! Must be, so near Halloween and all. :)

Does Dealer have any ideas?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No I did not take it to the dealer. My first instinct was to clean all the crap as soon as I noticed it. So if it comes back again, I will take it straight to the dealer. No windows tinted. And no spills for sure.
It sure looked like a washed up grease from behind the panels. But how would water get in there? Is there any way for water to get trapped behind that area? Like a drain pluged or something?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts