8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. im really new to the whole forums thing in general so please forgive me if i post this in the wrong spot. I just bought an 08 ex and my heater isnt working too well. i want to try a heater core flush but im not sure how to reach the hoses, theyre pretty far back there. I also didnt want to try to follow them to the end opposite the firewall and run water through the wrong hose lol. I figured someone here would have possibly done this before. Any advice on what i should do would be greatly appreciated

Thanks a lot and Happy Thanksgiving
Dr

·
Registered
170 Posts
FYI these cars are notorious for taking a long time to warm up.

Are you still getting poor heat after a long highway drive? If yes, I'd check for air in the system first.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Unless this car has gotten debris or contaminates in the coolant I'd be very surprised if it would benefit from or require a heater core flush. If so, the expansion bottle and the radiator would also be a mess. If both are clean looking, a clogged heater core is not going to be 1st suspect... just doesn't happen too often.

Air in the system will definately reduce heat, especially when idling as coolant flows slowest then and won't push air out of the way.

Check to make sure the thermostat in the engine is also working properly. It's function is to block the flow of coolant (or slow it down) to keep the engine around 200f. When they fail they are designed to fail open (most of the time) and this overcools the engine and reduces the effectiveness of the heat. A pretty simple way to tell is just to look at your temp gauge, if it doesn't get up to 1/2 way within a few miles and stay there for teh entire drive then the thermostat is bad or going bad. If you know someone with a scantool that reads live data you can watch coolant temp while driving. It should always remain around 190-200f.

There can be other causes too, such as a stuck coolant valve or a stuck diverter valve in the hvac airbox.

What are the detailed symptoms?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the help i just realized i got a response. I topped off the coolant and it gets really warm on the driver side now after a few miles. the thermostat seems to be good too. The problem is the passenger side vents only blow cool air. any ideas on what that could be caused by?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for all the help i just realized i got a response. I topped off the coolant and it gets really warm on the driver side now after a few miles. the thermostat seems to be good too. The problem is the passenger side vents only blow cool air. any ideas on what that could be caused by?
Did you ever get to solve the real issue? I have the same exact problem...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts