8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so it's been raining quite a lot lately here in toronto, and i think i notice something is up with my heat strips at the rear windshield...

it doesn't seem like it's working anymore. i'm not sure actually if it's working or not. is there any way i can tell if it is? what is suppose to do when turned on while raining.

i got a '09 Si. i just recently got my 3rd brake light re-routed inside the car, since i changed my spoiler. does the heat strips have to do anything with the wiring? how does it even work?

i guess the only way to find out for sure is wait until it's fall/winter and see if it's defrosting at all.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I only turn them on to clear any fog that has built up but I turn them off immediately after. If you leave them on a daily basis it can damage your window, my moms RAV4 looked like some of the laminate was trying to bubble up, it went away mysteriously.
Turn it on and get a piece of ice, see if it melts faster?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only turn them on to clear any fog that has built up but I turn them off immediately after. If you leave them on a daily basis it can damage your window, my moms RAV4 looked like some of the laminate was trying to bubble up, it went away mysteriously.
Turn it on and get a piece of ice, see if it melts faster?
well it's not on a daily basis. i only turn it on when frosted or raining.

i'll try that lol. will it really work?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Turn the defroster on and see if the lines get warm to the touch (be careful not to scratch the lines). Also be careful, they may get a bit hot (though, I don't think mine get all that hot). When you turn on the defroster it simply passes a current through those lines and they heat up. They are simply metallic strips on the window.

There is wiring that goes to the window to power the defroster. If the wiring got changed, disconnected, or damageg it could affect the defroster. Does the light on the button come on when you push it?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turn the defroster on and see if the lines get warm to the touch (be careful not to scratch the lines). Also be careful, they may get a bit hot (though, I don't think mine get all that hot). When you turn on the defroster it simply passes a current through those lines and they heat up. They are simply metallic strips on the window.

There is wiring that goes to the window to power the defroster. If the wiring got changed, disconnected, or damageg it could affect the defroster. Does the light on the button come on when you push it?
the light on the button comes on. i have no idea where the wiring is located, so i don't know if it was touched at all when they worked on the brake light.

i touched them earlier when it was on. i couldn't tell if it was warmer or not.. it's a bit cold outside though.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
If they aren't getting warm, then they aren't working. I would think particularly on a cold day you would be able to feel the warmth.

Do you have a multi-meter/volt meter?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If they aren't getting warm, then they aren't working. I would think particularly on a cold day you would be able to feel the warmth.

Do you have a multi-meter/volt meter?
I could try feeling them tomorrow. is it really noticeable temperature difference when I touch the strips? And I don't got a volt meter.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I could try feeling them tomorrow. is it really noticeable temperature difference when I touch the strips? And I don't got a volt meter.
When working they should be able to heat up the whole window. They should get noticeably warmer when turned on. For instance, lay your hand against the window. Then turn it on, wait a minute or so, then lay your hand on the window again. If it isn't noticeably warmer, then it's not working. And yes, if you feel the metal strips directly they should get warm/hot.

If you check tomorrow and are still unsure let me know and I'll check mine and see how hot it gets and let you know for sure whether or not there is any doubt if you'll be able to feel the heat.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When working they should be able to heat up the whole window. They should get noticeably warmer when turned on. For instance, lay your hand against the window. Then turn it on, wait a minute or so, then lay your hand on the window again. If it isn't noticeably warmer, then it's not working. And yes, if you feel the metal strips directly they should get warm/hot.

If you check tomorrow and are still unsure let me know and I'll check mine and see how hot it gets and let you know for sure whether or not there is any doubt if you'll be able to feel the heat.
thanks man! you're a great help. i'll definitely get back to you tomorrow (night time, since that's when it's cold). the thing is, i don't see why they would be 'broken' as the car is less than a year old.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so my dealers says that they can check if it's broken but i have to pay $51 for that initial check-up... so if nothing is wrong, then i pay still.

only if it's really not working may they put it under warranty and not have to pay for it.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
chances are the little harness on the side of the rear glass is disconnected,or you damaged the wire when you were doign the 3rd brake light.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
they are jsut flat single wire harnesses (i cant remember if ther is only one or one at each side). just look, cant really miss them. they might be aprtially blocked by the pillar trim.
i'm going to get it checked. i didn't installe the brake light myself, so they may have touched the wiring of the heat strips. thanks for the info!

i'm assuming it's on the left side of the car, that's where all the wiring is on the trunk.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
i'm going to get it checked. i didn't installe the brake light myself, so they may have touched the wiring of the heat strips. thanks for the info!

i'm assuming it's on the left side of the car, that's where all the wiring is on the trunk.
i cant remember. traded my civic in a couple years ago.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i cant remember. traded my civic in a couple years ago.
lol it's nice of you to still linger around these forums then.. what do you drive now?

well, on the left is the black plastic that covers up all the wires.. so i'm assuming one of them is it.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Take a test light for checking if there is power going to wires and use that on the strips on the back window. It will light up if there is :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts