8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the search for more power / looks / performance weather it be an all motor rocket, a supercharged beast, or a turbo powerhouse, this may be something to consider if it hasn’t already crossed your mind. For those of you not familiar with heat coatings or if you’re the person looking for more information, this may be for you. :woot:

There are MANY companies that offer heat coatings for tons of applications. One of the most popular companies would be JET-HOT. Not all coatings are equal, and they all offer similar benefits. A good ceramic coating on a manifold / header WILL produce more power, and here is why:

:wheee:

JET-HOT will normally boost power when applied to headers or manifolds for two reasons. First, the coating promotes denser, more potent fuel/air charges by insulating the engine bay from exhaust heat. At the same time, it accelerates the pulsed-vacuum effect on “tuned” headers, resulting in more effective scavenging of cylinders. The increased velocity of exhaust gases produced by higher exit inertia not only clears each cylinder more quickly; it also draws in the next fuel/air charge more efficiently.
• Reduced Skin Temperatures
• Extended Part Life
• Increased Horsepower
• Outstanding Great Looks
JETHOT The Hottest Header Coatings! Jet-Hot, jet coat, hot jet, headers, coatings, sterling,Header coating, Ceramic coating, corrosion protection, Metallic Ceramic Coatings, MCCI, metallic ceramic, exhaust coating, performance coating, temperature re

When selecting a coating that’s right for you, it would be best to insure a proper heat range. If you are just coating a header, then any coating between 1000 – 2000 degress will be plenty. If you are coating a turbo manifold, it would be best to select a coating in the 2000 + range for better heat protection. I am a true believer in heat coatings, and recomend them to EVERYONE. :thumb:

Please, if you have any questions, feel free to ask. There are alot of well informed members on here that will be able to answer a lot of questions, and i will also try my best to answer any as well.​

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Fantastic Mike. Thanks so much. There has been a lot of interest in thermal coatings for headers. People need to see how a coating can improve thermal efficiency and exhaust scavenging. :thumb:

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well thats basically most of the information one would ask, so it covers most of the basics. The info should deff. help anyone interested.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have my buddy club headers wrapped and it makes a tremendous difference in heat shielding and I felt the power difference speciaaly during the summer. Before wrapping my headers, the exhaust heat melted my shifter cable and O2 sensor, after the heat wrap I haven't had any issues and it gives me peace of mind. I personally recommend it.

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive read something about having the inside of the header subject to more heat would cause the welds to weaken and supposedly crack. Is this true?
You want the header to stay at an optimal temperature so that the velocity of the air / gases can escape quicly. There is TOO hot aswell. When you use Header / Heat wrap, its always best to only use one layer, and not multi layers. Using multi layers of heat wrap will cause the manifold to retail too much heat and overtime will cause issues for the manifold. ( Cracks, rotting away, etc. ) Also, Heat wraps usually break down manifolds alot quicker when there subject to moisture / water plus the heat generated from the manifold itself.

Heat wrap = Good for short time use / Track only use. I would never recomend it for a daily driven / weekend track car. Just pay the extra little bit and have it ceramic coated.

·
Registered
496 Posts
jet-hot is good stuff. i used it on my last car (96pgt s/c) and it definitely made a difference. the bad part about jet-hot is that it is kind of expensive, but definitely worth it. if money is tight, i have also heard nothing but good reviews from people using tech-line. tech-line is a more of a DIY ceramic coating.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
If I remember correctly, Jet-Hot coats the inside of the piping as well.
You're right. They coat the inside and outside. I was going to do this with my Vibrant but with my integrated HFC I they couldn't coat the inside. In reality, coating the inside is probably more important than coating the outside. You're keeping the heat from getting inside the tubing which should extend the life of the header. At some point in the future when I have more time I will probably get another header (probably another Vibrant) and have it coated by Jet-Hot and build up a HFC and a test pipe to do a side by side dyno comparison.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I was going to do this with my Vibrant but with my integrated HFC I they couldn't coat the inside.
Damn it, wanted to do the same thing but was wondering if they could do it with the HFC welded on. Guess i might just go without the ceramic coating, unless I coat Vibrant header w/o the cat and throw on a HFC...

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
One of the main reasons i went with the DC race header. thanks to the ceramic coating.

not wrapping or coating a thin stainless race header is a nono, your engine bay will cry.

·
Registered
13,332 Posts
so wait...sorry if this is a newb question, but if the header i buy has the option of being ceramic will i make better gains? btw is the strup header

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so wait...sorry if this is a newb question, but if the header i buy has the option of being ceramic will i make better gains? btw is the strup header
You MAY see SOME gains, but the coating that strup uses is complete garbage. I know, i have the header, and the coating is not a high enough temp and is basically wearing away. My advise would be to order it and then send it out yourself to be coated. Strup uses the same company DC does. A local company in california.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts