8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a self install of my header and exhaust about a month and a half ago.
I hear a very loud, distinctive "hiss" that seems to be coming from the area somewhere from the flexpipe to the flange where the exhaust meets the header... I can't tell if it is an actual leak, or just the "hiss" or "whoosh" that the header makes...
I have a vibrant with HFC and a vibrant exhaust.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I did a self install of my header and exhaust about a month and a half ago.
I hear a very loud, distinctive "hiss" that seems to be coming from the area somewhere from the flexpipe to the flange where the exhaust meets the header... I can't tell if it is an actual leak, or just the "hiss" or "whoosh" that the header makes...
I have a vibrant with HFC and a vibrant exhaust.
i have the exact same sound with the same setup. did some research and found out that little normal hissing sound is normal. wouldn't worry about it unless its really loud.

·
Premium Member
14,538 Posts
It varies from header to header. The hissing noise is due to the thin side walls on the after market header. My old Strup header made more of a hissing noise than my BCRH. Its perfectly normal.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's pretty loud, only reason i was concerned about a leak.
i shined a flashlight up in that piece, didn't notice any soot, but it also was on the ground...
i'll check again when i jack her up to install my SC in a few weeks

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
so does my DCRH....sounds like my car is f-ed up like the old beaters that roll around here...

anyone kno if the sound dies down a little overtime?? i bought mine new so could that be a reason for it being kinda loud?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i'm gonna have to take a better look at it, i really don't mind the hiss to be honest with you, i just am trying to figure out if it's normal or not (i know there is one, but this is kinda loud)

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
mine is too but i think as long as u dont have loss in performance ur goldne right???

anyone kno any simple exhasut leak tests?

i heard placing ur foot or something obstucting the tailpipe should receive pressure trying to push out the object. if u dont feel much pressure ur gases would be finding its way out through the leak...

can any1 clarify?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i know there's pressure out my tailpipe (especially after mexican food!!)

shining a flashlight works up there, look for soot... but i don't see any, maybe im being paranoid

·
Registered
334 Posts
Does it sound like it is coming from right under the shifter, center console area? Perfectly normal. Annoying but normal. I have had the same noise with both my Hytech and Go-Power. As it was explained to me, you are hearing the actual gasses traveling through the piping. Reason being high gas speeds from the race header design and thin piping walls. Im paranoid about these types of things too, especially when you do your own work. I would put the car on a lift and give it a once over checking for soot. Or you can run it on the lift and check that way.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i've been told it's the gasses whooshing through also... windows up it's not bad, window's down it is very noticeable, i'll just soot check it when i get some time

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
^That's exactly how it is with my S2 RH. You can hear the hissing with the windows down, but not really when they are up. At first I was a little worried, but I guess it is normal.

·
Registered
815 Posts
As previously stated the sound is caused by the thinness of the tubing. My Invidia does it but its not too loud...my old car made the noise as well but it was really bad. That's when I did research and found that its normal with aftermarket header(s) and unfortunately it doesn't quiet down as time goes on.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just installed a Strup RH yesterday and I'm hearing the same noise. Seems normal although the owner of the header before me said it never hissed. Depends on what exhaust its bolted to I suppose.

·
Registered
815 Posts
^^^ very true, you will hear it more with a Full Race system compared to a Greddy Ti-C or something similar. I have a 3in. system so mine is pretty audible.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Another thought..how many people with the hiss have a defouler on the secondary o2 sensor? I'm taking mine off after my tune in a week and going to see if it goes away. I feel like with the defouler it creates a space where air can enter and start to whistle. Like I said the previous owner of my header didn't have any hiss, but he didn't have a defouler either.

·
Banned
4,164 Posts
the flex pipe is probably screwed..

flex pipe is so much fail EVERY header ive had with flexpipe always leaked after a few months of use even with solid motor mounts..

the only header ive had that didnt leak or cause any probs was my S2.. that thing was nice

·
Banned
4,164 Posts
mine is too but i think as long as u dont have loss in performance ur goldne right???

anyone kno any simple exhasut leak tests?

i heard placing ur foot or something obstucting the tailpipe should receive pressure trying to push out the object. if u dont feel much pressure ur gases would be finding its way out through the leak...

can any1 clarify?
go to a muffler shop and those dude just feel for them with there hands lol..

if the car sounds like a beater then u prolly have a flex pipe leak

1 - 20 of 31 Posts