8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so the head restraints issue is the main reason I went looking for a Honda forum. I've seen a few posts about this elsewhere but hadn't seen on here. I've got a real problem with the head restraints. It pushes me too far forward and by the time I've made the 20 minute drive to work I've got a neck ache that lasts all day long. I'm 5 feet tall and even with the seat in the highest position I can't seem to get it to not hurt. When I first sit in the car the seat feels so comfy but as soon as I try to put my head back, it's forced forward again. Ick and ouch.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone with any ideas on how I can fix this and fall the rest of the way in love with my new car? :confused:

Thanks.

STB

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yeah the head restraints are kinda weird/uncomfortable...and non adjustable.

Honda should have done a lot of research for their spankin new 8th gen civic?
Is it for safety reasons? Does it keep you more awake while driving?
All I know was that you should adjust the headrest so that your ears should line up with the middle of the headrest.

With that said how can honda accomodate for someone 5'-6' if the headrest isn't adjustable?

But hey, the seat/steering wheel is pretty adjustable.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The reason the head restraints are tilted at such an angle is because the seats are supposed to mimmick bucket seats like in a Mustang. The seat back is meant to be put back to the point where the head reast is almost vertical. This was the same way my head rests were in my Tiburon. If you're used to non-bucket seats than this is a new feel but something you'll want to get used to unless you plan on getting different head rests.

I would NOT recommend taking your head rests out. My fiancee was T-boned by an Explorer and it actually broke the frame pillar in between the front and back doors. The roof of the car collapsed as a result and the only thing that kept it from potentially breaking her neck was the head rest.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for more explaination but it is still a painful thing for me. I don't feel comfortable driving tilted back in a sleeping position. I've had nothing but bucket seats for years. You're not actually supposed "rest" your head on them, I hear, but with that thing sticking out, I can't rest my back either. I'm just in from a 20 minute drive home from work and feel like I need a massage to unkink me. Sigh. I do plan on trying to get some different head rests. I wonder how understanding the dealership service department will be when I ask them to try a different head rest?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Howdy,

My wife and I have the exact same problem... The head rest forces our heads far enough forward that its uncomfortable. I'm slowly getting used to it, but it still bugs me from time to time. It bothers my wife enough that she won't drive the car.

The only "fix" we've found so far is to take out the headrest and reverse it. This isn't ideal as the height adjust will no longer work and the headrest is now _way_ too far back.

If you find alternate headrests that work, please post! I was figuring I'd need to wait until someone smashed one up and get another set of headrests to modify... I'd much prefer an easier solution.

Mark

·
Registered
267 Posts
You might try turning the headrests around and switching the two. If the height adjust is on the outside (toward the door) and you turn it around then the indentations are on the inside so it won't work. However, if you switch them while you're at it, the height adjust for the driver's side seat would be on the outside of the passenger's side seat when the headrest is backwards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts