8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 civic LX 1.8, with engine from 2010, probably around 175k miles on that engine.

Maybe 6 months ago, I replaced the head gasket, it had all the symptoms of a blown one. I've had a random cylinder 2 misfire since before that, not sure why. Anyway, it had been acting "normal" since I finished, still with the same misfire. It ran fine, even over the weekend doing a 1500 mile round trip, and backed up traffic on I-75. It ran fine this morning. It ran fine when I went to pick up my wife from work. It did not run fine after that. Cylinders 1 and 2 are both misfiring the oil cap is milky as heck, and the coolant reservoir is low.

Why?

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will get one tomorrow to check it out. If the test shows it's good, do you have any suggestions? Plugs were replaced when the head gasket was done. Why would the oil cap be milky? Weather is cool for Florida (low in the upper 30s and highs in the 60s to low 70s). Less humid than usual, and no excessive rain.

Test the head gasket by using a leak combustion tester on a cold radiator. Head gaskets on the R18 aren’t common but they can happen.

· Registered
1,308 Posts
It’s sometimes normal for the oil cap to be milky on cold weather. If I can remember correctly it’s just condensation on the cap which may seem like a head gasket failure. You’re losing coolant so that’s a concern.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm considering just pulling it all out and rebuilding the engine bottom to top. The engine was from a 2010, the guy said he "thought" it had about 100k miles and he'd gotten it for a customer that changed their mind. At the time, it was my only vehicle, the previous engine was hydro locked and I needed it up and running. I think it was about 6 months ago, I had similar symptoms as i do now, still no backup vehicle. I hurriedly did the head gasket and tensioner (they suck when the bolts seize) and got it back on the road. Nothing was checked thoroughly for anything. Now I have a backup beater that I can use to get around locally and am in less of a hurry. I don't think it would hurt to pull it apart, send the head (and block to the machine shop for a good cleaning and decking. I'll probably have to wait a month or so (Christmas trip) to order parts and get it back together.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a chance to start digging around yesterday evening. I pulled the coils, then moved to the sparkplugs. #1 was loose as hell and didn't need a ratchet to remove. I installed them to 18ftlbs when they were installed. I've seen sparkplugs get stuck in other engines, but come loose on their own. Threads appeared to be free of debris. Should I find some sort of thread sealant?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts