8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced my Elemental Designs Nine.2X with a Zapco DC Reference 1000.4 amp and am having some weird, unexpected problems, that make no sense to me. I can't figure out why the amp keeps blowing one of my tweeters? Actually its blown 2 tweeters already for no apparent reason and they all happened in the same manner. That manner being that as soon as I put the key in the ignition and turn on the car (just the car with no music playing) I get an extremely high pitched noise (sounds like an airhorn or really loud alarm) that wont turn off until I turn the car off. It happened unexpectedly and without warning. Its weird because when I installed the Zapco amp to my components everything was fine and played well for weeks and then all of sudden I turn my car on as I was leaving a friends house and I get these really loud pitch noise as I mentioned when everything was fine prior to that. The weird thing is that its only one channel that does that because the other tweeter is just fine.

Once I blew that tweeter I replaced it with another one. Again everything was fine again no problems.......until today. So I get in the car turn it on only to get the same high pitched noise. I immediately turn it off and the turn it back on. The noise is gone but so is the tweeter, its fried. For the life of me I can't explain why this happens because its not like there was any problems prior to this. I mean I configure the amp through the software until I get everything dialed in to where its suppose to be and then leave it alone. Both tweeters are set to the same cutoff frequencies so I know its not a configuration problem. I'm guessing its more along the lines of a messed up channel because every other channel works fine. The reason why I am even posting this on a car forum as opposed to a dedicated audio forum is because of the nature of the noise that emits when this happens. Like I said it is a really high pitched noise that sounds like an alarm. Its like somehow I am triggering the alarm (don't know how) that comes with the car and honestly I don't know where the actual sound is emitting from since its really loud and annoying. I'm guessing its the tweeter that makes that sound because afterwards it no longer works, however, I don't see how the tweeter would make a car alarm sound if its not connected to the car alarm.

Alas, sorry for the long post but I would really like somebody who is knowledgeable on the Zapco amp in question and 8th gen civic electronics to help diagnose what is causing this problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Wow that is really weird, have you chacked like your connections to make sure nothing is touching or stripped? Do wires, rca's....etc from head to toe.

Im sure Hans will shed some light on this.

Hope it gets fixed fast for ya!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts