8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes I know projectors/retrofits are better and this is not what the thread is about. I eventually want to get them but a bit pricey side. Wanted to know if anyone of you guys get pulled over or a fixit for HIDs and if so which city in SoCal?

I just finished my DRL mods a week ago and put in LEDs in them in my R18 coupe, so running with 6 lights. The same day at night, I get pulled over in Cerritos for having bright lights. No ticket or fix it (my records clean, never been ticketed) and let me go with a warning. I was kind of shock as I been driving since 06 with HIDs and never once a cop paid attention.

This cop was making a right from a plaza, so his car was tilted forward and got blinded by my car going straight. I was the only car on the road too :(

I doubt my LED is brighter than my 6k HID lowbeams, so that wouldnt be the case.

Have you guys been pulled over for HID PnP and for which city?

**Edit
Looking at my lights at night, I do get why the cop pulled me over now. The LED Drl really does not have a focus, the light just shoots everywhere and glares making my lowbeam seem to glare. It also flickers just a tiny bit due to the resistor mod (and car on idle and not moving). Does not look like high beams but bright (high beam feature is a joke, does not add much light)

LED drl compliments 6k HID lowbeams, making it seem just one set instead of drl and lowbeam seperated on a side view and frontal view you can see the difference (s3 camera is lacking to show of course)

Old bulbs with mob (nokya bulbs running 25% with lowbeam)

LED with mod during the day

During the night side view

During the night frontal view (my phone camera is lacking but its beautiful)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is actually a group of my friends and I on a waiting game who can get the first no front plate fix it ticket first.

We are located in Anaheim, Cerritos, Buena park, Westminster, and Hawaiian Gardens, and 2 months so far and no ticket

·
Registered
375 Posts
Were all 6 of your front facing lights on at the same time? Down here in GA, you're only allowed 4 forward facing lights on at any given time. Even the fog equipped cars from factory are wired so that the fogs turn off when you use your brights. If I saw your car coming my way, I'd flash my brights at you thinking you have your brights on..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I got pulled over? Yes all 6 was on, but I was very noticeable, i was the only car driving at night on a street and decided to play with my new setup and breaking my own rules (ill explain)

The area I live in SoCal, most areas the cops really does not care about mods. Its only when we give them a reason to (noise, light glare, traffic violations). But there are areas that I avoid during the day and other areas during the night, as I know some cops are more strict.

The golden rule that I made to myself is: nice looking areas = turn mods off, roll window down (limo tint), hide no license plate by going to busy streets; and not nice looking areas = no worries as I see many other cars with similiar things that one can get pulled over.

I never receive a ticket in my life (except parking sweeping tickets), but that because I follow traffic laws and never speed faster than the flow of traffic (or if in a rush, always have a speeding buddy to follow).

·
Registered
375 Posts
Personally I've never been stopped for my HIDs. I've been flashed many times tho. I've driven behind cops and I've stopped at a light across from cops. Not one offense.

I work at a restaurant and we get along well with police. The only thing they told me not to do were blue lights. I had 6000k hids, I guess it didn't look blue enough for them to pull me over.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah yeah that was my experience within the years, I guess in this situation I was the only car on the street, with extra lights on and the angle the cop was in (tilted foward as he was trying to make a right from a shopping area), got blinded by my HIDs.

The cop was nice and polite actually, he probably scan my record then told me that I should probably want to replace my HIDs as it blinds people to avoid getting a citation.

In my head during that time "YES NO FIX IT!! CLEAN RECORD HOLDS", and "Gah why didnt I follow my golden rule, Cerritos City = no mods on".

Luckily my yellow HID fogs can be turn off by a switch, which also turns off my DRL mod. My DRL mod can be manually turn off by a switch inside the hood.

I was actually more worried if he ask to roll my window up to check my tints (rare chance, but did not want to go into the hassle of a fix it for tints)

·
Registered
878 Posts
When I got pulled over? Yes all 6 was on, but I was very noticeable, i was the only car driving at night on a street and decided to play with my new setup and breaking my own rules (ill explain)

The area I live in SoCal, most areas the cops really does not care about mods. Its only when we give them a reason to (noise, light glare, traffic violations). But there are areas that I avoid during the day and other areas during the night, as I know some cops are more strict.

The golden rule that I made to myself is: nice looking areas = turn mods off, roll window down (limo tint), hide no license plate by going to busy streets; and not nice looking areas = no worries as I see many other cars with similiar things that one can get pulled over.

I never receive a ticket in my life (except parking sweeping tickets), but that because I follow traffic laws and never speed faster than the flow of traffic (or if in a rush, always have a speeding buddy to follow).
Damn that too much work,your glare from your pics are horrid. Glad you didnt get a ticket.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I almost got cited for lights
I was pulled over at 12am from highway patrol on the 5 freeway 4 months ago for no reason. seriously the cop said I wasnt doing anything wrong. I asked why im getting pulled over. He said oh my tint is to dark and I have no front plate... I told the cop I got the same ticket the week before ( im dead serious). im like can you let me go. but hes like nah unless I wanted a ticket for being to low and having hids etc. (he was being a **** I swear) so i was like ok just give me the tint and plate...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh man, seriously? I never thought highway patrol really cared. I guess my theory on being safe on the freeway is not so good anymore. I turn off mods and roll my limo tint downs on streets and have everything on the freeway (6 lights and tints). eek I might as well install my front license plate, i really hate how it looks :(

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Limo tints and 6 driving lights, no front plate.......seems as though your trying to get pulled over......most places that i know of have a maximum of 4 forward facing driving lights not including the side markers. Looks like all of your mods have to be amended slightly. If your worried about something you did, most likely its not legal and you should take it off......not even going to start on your PNP kit........btw saying that the LED makes your lights look like they glare is an understatment, they do glare.....and its not the LED that "makes it look like that"

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I almost got cited for lights
I was pulled over at 12am from highway patrol on the 5 freeway 4 months ago for no reason. seriously the cop said I wasnt doing anything wrong. I asked why im getting pulled over. He said oh my tint is to dark and I have no front plate... I told the cop I got the same ticket the week before ( im dead serious). im like can you let me go. but hes like nah unless I wanted a ticket for being to low and having hids etc. (he was being a **** I swear) so i was like ok just give me the tint and plate...
When I picked up that visor from you I was like ":eek2: sooo low how he drive like that ".

hahaha I got pulled over for Hids when I had my old ED7 all the time but then they would always ask me to pop my hood. I always told them if you want to give me a ticket for Hids go ahead but I am not popping my hood. A $20 fix it ticket is better then a State Ref ticket. My buddy got quite a few for Hids which in his case were just fix it tickets.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts