8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents said that a few neighbors have been complaining about the dog. He is a black labrador, only a few months old, but he has definitely grown in those few months. I really don't want to sell him, but I would rather do that than take him to the animal shelter, where they will most likely put him to sleep in a few weeks. So if you are interested in taking him in, please PM me.

EDIT: I'm in SoCal

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
Do you have a g/f that can just take the dog for a little while? That's what I ended up doing after my dog ended up damaging my neighbors property. I could've argued the fact that their property had no business being in my back yard, but I would rather keep the peace than start a fued over my dog.

Maybe you could take the dog and have him/her trained? Man, I hate to see people have to let go of their dogs..

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
What town in so-cal do you live in? I might be able to help.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Just google/msn search your area for a man's best friend or something. Just don't use Bad Newz Kennel

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Please do your best to have the dog trained.

I hate when people think they can just be given away. it's your dog, not theres.

Google trainers in your area or go to a local pet store/Vet and ask

·
All Liver GSP's!
3,619 Posts
newspaper, craigslist, yellow pages, internet, word of mouth, Petsmart, Petco.....dude. common with that im not sure where to find one thing. get one and save that sweet little pooch with his little puppy paws and puppy breath....just givin him little kisses on his little pooch face....

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright, thanks guys for the info. i went to yahoo and searched locally for pet trainers, I'll give that a shot for a while, hopefully it works..

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
WTF is the dog doing? Barking? If so, get a shock collar for his barking! I know plenty of people that have used them and they work wonders. Might sound mean, but better than the dog getting euthanized...

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The neighbors are complaining about his barking, but my parents have been complaining as well because last week he tore up the outside furniture. But that collar sounds like a definite possibility. I am assuming you can find one at a local pet shop?

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
that's stupid how you would have to get rid of the dog b/c of your neighboors. Your parents i understand. But why do you parents give a damn about what ur neighboors think...

Yea just try to train the dog, Then everything will be fine :thumb:

·
All Liver GSP's!
3,619 Posts
crate train his ass. go to the pet store and buy a shock collar and a dog training book for Labs..... they are relatively easy to train with some structure.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
The younger the dog, the higher the chances of ppl scooping him up. Dogs that get gassed in animals shelter are typically the older ones. Puppies are in high demand, you shouldn't have a prob finding a willing adopter.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^I think I am going with training the dog first, if it doesnt work and neighbors keep complaining then I will go with adoption, or rather give him away because there is no way I am going to let them gas my dog. He is rather big, he grew fast in these past few months.

·
Premium Member
41,908 Posts
Just IMO, find a good dog trainer. They will recommend the E collar if need be. I am pretty sure if he is sitll young you will not need the e collar.

·
Registered
769 Posts
in general, training the dog is your best bet. As a puppy, he is learning his place in your household.. If he figures out that he can get away with things (barking, destroying furniture, etc), he'll figure he's the leader, he's the alpha. Training the dog will get it clear in his mind that YOU and your parents are the alpha dogs of the house! If you have other animals, visitors, he still has to learn that they are still above him in rank. Your dog will have to learn to turn to you for direction...

Watch Dog Whisperer with Cesar Milan to get a good idea what I mean. Be calm, assertive, and patient... training takes some time...

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
maximus20895 said:
But why do you parents give a damn about what ur neighboors think...
Let's start with:

1) Municipal/County general noise ordinances, which may be inclusive of animals (results in fees, impounded animals, and other penalties)
2) Municipal/County 'barking dog' ordinances, which specifically outline the handling, penalties, and disposition of nuisance animals (results in fees, impounded animals, and other penalties)
3) Community CC&Rs (if you don't know what a CC&R is, look it up and what can result when they are violated)
4) HOA (Home Owners Association) rules regarding animals (fees, liens against your home, and eviction from your own home can be the result of ignoring these rules)
5) Civil litigation (yes, it has happened, and continues to happen)
6) Finally, what about common courtesy? Perhaps this relates back to Kingmarine's thread...which may be why your reply, as given above, speaks volumes to your age.

·
Hidy Ho Neighbor
29,707 Posts
Be honest. How much time are you spending with your Lab? They need/want attention. If they are ignored, they will bark. If you aren't really ready to dedicate a few hours each day with him, then contact a labrador rescue. They will find someone who will train him to work - possibly in: rescue, guide, search, baggage inspection, etc. At least he would get to have a useful interesting life, which is what he's barking about. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts