8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the title about sums it up. I've mostly been concerned with the looks aspect of my car, but after putting on a 60mm Skunk 2 exhaust this weekend, I really want to go after performance now. I've had an Injen CAI for about a year now, but now I'm thirsty for more.

As for looks, I have 18x8.5 Rays Engineering Gram Light 57Fs, I'm lowered on Eibach Sportlines, 20% tint, etc...

Here's a pic if anyone cares:

So now I'm torn between getting the reflash or header first. I already know which header I want, I want the Vibrant Race Header with Cat. I want to keep a cat for legality purposes, and don't want to fool with using a defouler to trick the CEL light from going off. However, I'm not too excited about the 2-3 hour install (assuming it goes smoothly), and I know the reflash would be a lot simpler and easier.

Just a couple of quick ?s about the reflash for all you guys who got it: 1. Where'd you get it from? and 2. Is your car still drivable when the ECU is out in the mail?

So I'm seeking advice here, chime in and help me out. Header or Reflash now?

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
jonebone said:
So now I'm torn between getting the reflash or header first. I already know which header I want, I want the Vibrant Race Header with Cat. I want to keep a cat for legality purposes, and don't want to fool with using a defouler to trick the CEL light from going off. However, I'm not too excited about the 2-3 hour install (assuming it goes smoothly), and I know the reflash would be a lot simpler and easier.

Just a couple of quick ?s about the reflash for all you guys who got it: 1. Where'd you get it from? and 2. Is your car still drivable when the ECU is out in the mail?

So I'm seeking advice here, chime in and help me out. Header or Reflash now?
i think everyone will recomend a header first. but it doesnt have to be. a highflow cat such as the one on the vibrant still does not gurantee no CEL will be thrown, but definatly easier to deal with more than a catless RH. some people have a defouler in a RH and they still get a CEl, but if you needed a defouler in the vibrant w/cat it should definatly not throw a CEL. a defouler is easy to install. if your installing a header, the defouler should be a peice if cake compared to it.

your car is not drivable without an ECU....go rent a car for 2 days while your ECU is sent out.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I'm personally going to go w/ the vibrant RH and HFC next...get the whole breathing easier and deeper thing going for my car, but it's going to be a while still before that even happens.

Maybe by the time I'm ready for engine management, the coveted I- or K-Pro will be out, whichever it is (I've seen both referenced more times than I can count).

You can NOT drive without the ECU while it's away getting reflashed by the way.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone care to elaborate on the difficulty of the Vibrant 4-2-1 w/cat header install? Also, are there any existing DIYs for it?

I'm really just dreading the amount of time and hassle I'll spend tryin to put the damn thing on. I'll prolly chew up a good portion of a Saturday for me.

It sounds like the header is the unanimous decision though...

·
Banned
49,418 Posts
I'm in the same position as you....I have a CAI, exhaust, stiffy, P2R.....I couldn't decide but finally I did...sent my ECU out yesterday to Hondata....get it back tomorrow :dancing:

·
Banned
49,418 Posts
jonebone said:
Anyone care to elaborate on the difficulty of the Vibrant 4-2-1 w/cat header install? Also, are there any existing DIYs for it?

I'm really just dreading the amount of time and hassle I'll spend tryin to put the damn thing on. I'll prolly chew up a good portion of a Saturday for me.

Shoot a PM to Qshooter151 or CrackthatTec45...they did an install and can let you know what they encountered

·
Registered
124 Posts
Keep your stock header, but get the Random Technology High-Flow Cat + Hondata Reflash. You'll make a tiny bit less power up top, but you'll actually make more low-to-mid range horsepower and torque, because of the efficiency of the stock header. A true race header is completely different, because of the angles of the merge collectors, etc. I know UltraRev sells the RT cat for $360, so you can have both for only a couple hundred bucks more than the Vibrant header!

That's my $0.02.

Brian

·
Banned
49,418 Posts
I also read a thread on here where they took the cat off while on the dyno and only made 1 whp without the cat....Ours is already a good flowing cat

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
brthorner said:
Keep your stock header, but get the Random Technology High-Flow Cat + Hondata Reflash. You'll make a tiny bit less power up top, but you'll actually make more low-to-mid range horsepower and torque, because of the efficiency of the stock header. A true race header is completely different, because of the angles of the merge collectors, etc. I know UltraRev sells the RT cat for $360, so you can have both for only a couple hundred bucks more than the Vibrant header!

That's my $0.02.

Brian
this has been proven wrong. a person on this forum went ahead and completely removed his cat from teh downpipe and replaced it with 2.5 or 3" piping. he dynoed his car before and after and didnt gain anything...maybe 1 hp.

but a RH has been dyno proven to get ~10 hp, so that means it is morethan just the delete of the cat that makes a RH better than stock, therefor it must be the OEM shorty header that is the inneficiency(sp?).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Nighthawk, weren't you the guy who went from an Injen CAI, to a Tanabe Exhaust, to a Comptech header, to an RT cat, dynoing each time, with the shorty header responsible for a loss of hp and tq, but then the cat adding what you lost back and then some? That would lead me to believe the cat is more important than [at least] the "shorty" header, no??

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
^nope...never been on a dyno before, never had a CAI, or any of that stuff.
but i am still waiting for some one to do a dyno of a comptech header/ RT cat/cat back exhaust combo. as i think the gains will be very good.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I'd go DCRH for gaines and price.I did it then 1 week later reflash.I got all the
standard bolt ons and the old Si can move.I dynoed 201.79 hp.Cant wait for
K...I...Pro.I wonder how much more Hp and Tq one could expect?

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
jonebone said:

You could pay someone then if you didn't want to do it. That way they would be liable if they crossthread a bolt or something like I did on mine.

·
Kansas Chainsaw Massacre
6,296 Posts
brthorner said:
Nighthawk, weren't you the guy who went from an Injen CAI, to a Tanabe Exhaust, to a Comptech header, to an RT cat, dynoing each time, with the shorty header responsible for a loss of hp and tq, but then the cat adding what you lost back and then some? That would lead me to believe the cat is more important than [at least] the "shorty" header, no??
yeah, someone did that, but I don't know who.

and replacing the cat with a straight pipe DIDN'T just gain 1 whp- it gained 5 in the midrange. an 8 hp gain @8200 RPM is much less important than 5WHP continuous gain that spans several hundred rpm in the lower ranges.

·
Kansas Chainsaw Massacre
6,296 Posts
Excalibur said:
You could pay someone then if you didn't want to do it. That way they would be liable if they crossthread a bolt or something like I did on mine.

I did the exact same thing installing my RT cat. thankfully, I have a friend with a set of tools for things like that. fixed it right up.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts