8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
Civics from 2006-2008.5 were included in the VINs for the TSB for the third gear issues. They 'fixed' the syncros and a few other small things in the transmission for the fix, as well as released a marginally better manual transmission fluid.

Evidently, after the 2008.5 models, they were being made with the 'new' parts. Yet there are still posts on the forum from those 08.5-2009 owners who are having issues.

So I do not believe Honda has fixed anything definitively. My 2006 Si, gear box 'fixed' is still popping out and grinding. Most have had luck, some others have not.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
^^ really? I haven't had 1 third gear problem.

I had 2nd gear when flooring it in 1st and shifting into 2nd grinding, but that's been fixed with the ingalls etd.

Not to say it doesn't happen or hasn't happened to people, but have you really seen people with 09's have the problem?

·
Registered
436 Posts
i have the 3rd gear in the 08 and 3 dealerships have refused it. waiting to hear from one today. otherwise im thinking bout getting my friends rsx-s tranny from his totaled car, rebuild it and slap it in.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have an '09 I just bought the end of December. I have no issues with 3rd gear. The gearbox seems fine except when it is cold. I will get a itty bitty grind on 2nd when the car is cold every so often. I just put the clutch in a wait just a second longer before pulling it down the 2nd or just skip and go to 3rd. This car doesn't like to be cold.

I will have to look at my production date but would assume mine is the 2nd half of '08.

·
Banned
909 Posts
i have the 3rd gear in the 08 and 3 dealerships have refused it. waiting to hear from one today. otherwise im thinking bout getting my friends rsx-s tranny from his totaled car, rebuild it and slap it in.
i believe u can file a lawsuit.... if u are under warranty, then its the law to have ur car fixed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a 2007 SI that just came back from having 3rd gear replaced. Although it is much improved, there is still some notchyness that I don't think should be there. Overall I think Honda needs to learn how to make a transmission and that the fix was half-a$$ed. If they couldn't make my tranny 100% with the fix, I doubt the 2009 is where it should be. FYI, I have been driving stick for many years, have never had a trans problem, and I have never owned a auto in my life. If my trans takes a turn for the worse in the next month I am selling the car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The trans in my 09 feels better than my 06 did although I have grinded 3rd once in the 09. I think I was rushing the shift in a long sweeping corner though, so that could have had something to do with it. I traded to the 09 (coupe to sedan) because of the fragile tranny and some other issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i believe u can file a lawsuit.... if u are under warranty, then its the law to have ur car fixed.
i may be wrong to assume this, but i think he is being refused because the honda dealership cannot reproduce the problem when they drive it. i do think that is stupid though because when they try to reproduce a problem they drive as carefully as possible even though nobody drives that careful. e.g. long shifts with the clutch down for longer periods instead of quick clutch shift release clutch...if ya know wat i mean lol

pz

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Well i think most people with 09's havnt had the cars long enought to really experience the problem

I have an 06 and have yet to get the fix done. Mostly because its never been that big of an issue for me. It can be shiffted smoothly if the driver knows how. My 3rd gear will feel kinda notchy going into 3rd once in a while when shifting below 3500 rpm, but i have never had it to grind or pop out once.

the fact that people on here that have had the fix done and still have the problems have kept me from letting honda touch my tranny.

Im getting ready to purchase a new clutch and fly wheel and Honda isnt touching my car. I have a local shop that only works on hondas and have plenty of experience in changing K20 clutches. Screw Honda.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have held off buying a 09 si sedan because of the 3rd gear pop out/grind. What parts did Honda change with the 09 si?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I have a 2007 SI that just came back from having 3rd gear replaced. Although it is much improved, there is still some notchyness that I don't think should be there. Overall I think Honda needs to learn how to make a transmission and that the fix was half-a$$ed. If they couldn't make my tranny 100% with the fix, I doubt the 2009 is where it should be. FYI, I have been driving stick for many years, have never had a trans problem, and I have never owned a auto in my life. If my trans takes a turn for the worse in the next month I am selling the car.

you can remedy the notchy feel in shifting by replacing the transmission fluid with GM or AMSoil synchromesh. i know in saying so i'm "hopping on the bandwagon," but it's definitely worth plunking down $20. it was one of the earlier additions i made to my Si, and i'm glad that i did. not only did i gain smooth, cooperative shifting, but throws now require much less effort, and i can literally flick my car into each gear if i please. get it!

I have held off buying a 09 si sedan because of the 3rd gear pop out/grind. What parts did Honda change with the 09 si?
don't have the numbers on hand, but the 06-08 Si has a different part number for its 3rd gear assembly compared to the 09 Si (to split hairs, the update was made in mid-08 model shelf life.) every 09 Si has the "fixed" third gear and should NOT be popping out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
enojy, are you a tech that works at Honda? How do you know all 09s si 3rd gears are fixed?

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
That's funny. I've seen at least three posts in this one visit to the site of 2009 transmission related issues.

It may have the new parts, but so does my car - and it still pops out. Doesn't mean that it's 100% fixed.

I do not believe this fix to be the end all be all. Thankfully, most people seem to have success with it. I wish I was one of them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry for the delayed post just got don reading everyones comments.. im a technician at honda here in jersey. i figured id lend my 2 cents to those dealing with the 3rd gear issue. all 06-07 si's are under this bulletin.. that does not mean you will have the 3rd gear grind there have been cars wit the affected year that have NOT had an issue. while others have had a obvious issue. if you are currently under warranty for your 06-07 it is covered unless there is signs of abuse to the tranny.. and yes we can tell when the case is opened. if you are out of warranty the dealership is still able to "GOODWILL" the repair after the approval of the district manager. normal warranties are 3 yrs or 36. all 08's and up are extended to compete with competitors and is now 6yrs or 60k. i personally drive an 08 si to work everyday. the shifting into 3rd is not as smooth as the rest of the gears and is normal. especially when it is cold. hence why you should warm up your vehicle before you drive it. switching to amsoil will help with shifting but in extreme cold temperatures it will still do the same... and again it is normal. all later model si's and up DO NOT have a 3rd gear issue. if anyone has an specific questions related to dealerships, warranties, or car related questions.. please feel free to message me on here or at my email [email protected].. i will be happy to answer any questions for anyone having an issue with their honda.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jelatomio, I appreciate your feedback on this problem. When you say cold weather or conditions do you mean snow conditions or 30 degree weather? What is considered too cold conditions for the transmission. I live in California where it does not snow.

Have you tried GM syncromesh?

Some are experiencing notchy 3rd gears. Does that mean it takes a little more effort to shift the shifter in to 3rd gear?

I have a 2002 civc si hatchback and I don't have to warm it up for my transmission to work properly and I don't have 3rd gear grinds or pop out but I need a larger 4 door.

·
Six eyes
5,010 Posts
all later model si's and up DO NOT have a 3rd gear issue.
You can't come right out and say that no "later model" Si's have the problem, because clearly some still do. The "fix" is not a complete fix anyway.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts