8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey wassup guys...umm i just got my car back from the shop after a possible clutch slippage..im only at 6k miles and the dealer said the problem was abuse to the car...and that puzzled me because..i drive fairly normal..and even if it was abused it wouldnt die out that quick..am i right? but yeahh they paid for the new clutch..it was no charge...but my question is has anyone got their clutch fixed because of a clutch slip? and did it happen a second time?

[i already know its like a factory defect..im just scared the same problem will happen twice..and i love my SI..dont wanna lose my baby]

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hey wassup guys...umm i just got my car back from the shop after a possible clutch slippage..im only at 6k miles and the dealer said the problem was abuse to the car...and that puzzled me because..i drive fairly normal..and even if it was abused it wouldnt die out that quick..am i right? but yeahh they paid for the new clutch..it was no charge...but my question is has anyone got their clutch fixed because of a clutch slip? and did it happen a second time?

[i already know its like a factory defect..im just scared the same problem will happen twice..and i love my SI..dont wanna lose my baby]
Do you ride the clutch ?

·
Registered
479 Posts
ive seen a few posts with this problem, and the dealers always paid for it and said "wear and tear" or "abuse". hard to tell if its a factory defect or driving habits.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol..i been looking on this forum for bad habits of driving...umm i cant say i ride the clutch kuz i dont really know what it is...well when i drive i dont leave my foot on the clutch..so does that answer it? can u explain riding the clutch?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i see...hmm is it bad to not clutch in all the way when shifting gears? sometimes i clutch in all the way to shift gears then release it slowly to smooth out the car..hmm im just trying think of possible bad habits...

·
Registered
761 Posts
the Si transmission isnt like any other manual i have driven. the shifts have to be accurate you do get a little riding of the clutch. i too have seen this posted a lot and everyone said the dealer paid for it. if they keep paying for it, it must not be as much "driver error" as they claim

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
lol..i been looking on this forum for bad habits of driving...umm i cant say i ride the clutch kuz i dont really know what it is...well when i drive i dont leave my foot on the clutch..so does that answer it? can u explain riding the clutch?
Riding the clutch is the time between disengagement (down) and engagement (off). It can be made worse if the throttle is pressed too hard between this action. The worst possible thing you can do to the clutch (aside from redline drop) is to keep the clutch halfway depressed, and WOT while in gear.

·
Premium Member
10,300 Posts
If you're giving it too much throttle when you're easing off the clutch to "smooth" it out it's definately burning the clutch every time and that's bad. To be totally honest you're better of having it jerk a little than burning the clutch to "smooth" it out. Just try not to let the RPM"s drop so much between shifts. That's what causes the jerking.

·
Registered
698 Posts
We had a customer at my work (acura) that bought an RSX-S that brought their car in for their first oil change (on a tow truck) lol....they got an oil change and a clutch!!! and Acura actually paid for it too!! even though the customer bought the car without knowing how to drive stick!!!!

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
i find that alot of things that new drivers do to make teh car drive smoother actually wears the clutch faster.

things like letting out the clutch slowly when downshifting, or adding gas before coming off the clutch when up shifting.

another thing is that if they are moving along at any speed less than 10mph like in a parking lot, they ride the clutch from fear of stalling. wtf, you dont stall untill like 2mph...

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Yeah that e60 ;(
I sck :(
Could you please give me more tips?(*no, this is not a joke.)
Just don't be afraid to fully remove your foot from the clutch. Once you start rolling you should be letting off the clutch. How smooth you do this determines the smoothness of the ride.
Riding around the parking lot in first gear can be a bit volatile because of the short gear, in order to drive smoothly without riding the clutch you use throttle control. If you're ever in a situation where your car bounces back an forth in first, remedy it by a short consistent pressure on the throttle.

Heck, just try this once...
Goto a parking lot
Start moving in first and disengage the clutch fully
Let it roll as long as you can without touching anything until it stalls.

Now obviously stalling is not recommended, but 1 time will be offset when you see the tolerance of a rolling stall. You should be able to just roll (with no feet on any pedal) until you run out of room or gas.

·
Registered
357 Posts
yea guy im starting to feel the clutch go nd i only have 3000 miles on my car nd wth? am i going to have t o deal with this more?
well wat is happening is that my pedal is very lite....but it still grabs wen i let it out a lil bit...so iono wat u guys think? clutch going out or wat?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts