8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, all.

I, like many here, have been dealing with dealership refusal to perform TSB 08-020. I've had my '07 Si for roughly 15 months, and about 25K miles; this problem was evident from the start. I'm to the point of making an appointment to try again... at a dealership about 400 miles from home, near my relatives in Pennsylvania, since they have something of a track record of actually taking care of this. I'll be screwing up my Thanksgiving holiday (and taking two days off work) with it, but if the problem is finally addressed, it'd be worth it.

I've also tried documenting the problem, which has entailed mounting a camera in my car, trying to see both the gearshift and the clutch pedal. Over the course of a week, I took perhaps an hour of video (no point during highway cruise, or after 5 or so miles of driving). Perhaps more interestingly, I found that some days are fine, others are horrendous. I caught perhaps 15 occasions of hard shifting in the first 20 minutes of video, then very few or not very bad for most of the work week. This past weekend, I caught 4 horrible ones in about 2 miles of driving, or about 50% of the time I shifted to third.

The manifestation of this issue is that, with the clutch fully depressed, I try to shift into third. The shift lever goes almost all the way into where the gear is, then feels like it hits a detent maybe 1/2" short of the actual gear.

This video shows four examples of that, all from this past weekend. I have yet to add something in the way of lead-in, maybe examples of what it should look like (for comparison), and I hope to brighten it up a bit (really dark down in the footwell). I also have some examples of issues of downshifting from fourth to third that I want to add in.

Sorry if that link fails to show. The direct URL is YouTube - 2007 Honda Civic Si hard to shift into third gear; I didn't capture the version for embedding.

My local dealership has seen the problem (I demonstrated it to a tech once), but will not fix it unless they can duplicate it themselves. I'm hoping that this video, if shown to the Honda regional representative, might prove sufficient for them to allow the fix. I mean, I've only dealt with this and their refusal to fix it for 25 thousand miles and a year and a quarter, of course.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My advice is to try different dealerships. I tried three before I found one that would do it in my area. The one that did it was pretty much in disbelief that other dealerships wouldn't do it. Some are jerks, other's actually care. Keep at it till you get it fixed. You won't believe the difference afterwards. It's like a new car again.

·
Registered
28,275 Posts
You shift rather unusually. You're lay on the clutch for too long. A good two seconds at times.

Shift a little more quickly. I'm on the clutch for probably a little more than a half second.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You shift rather unusually. You're lay on the clutch for too long. A good two seconds at times.

Shift a little more quickly. I'm on the clutch for probably a little more than a half second.
He's shifting like that to show hes depressing the clutch all the way. He's referring to how hard the shifter is to move regardless of what he's doing with the clutch.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts

Yes he is exaggerating a bit to show he is full off the clutch. But half a second? Is that how you shift all the time? With rev hang I find it almost im possible to do a smooth shift in normal driving under half a second going into 2nd gear. 3rd maybe depending on how hard I push the car. The harder I push, the more the rev hang.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am sure that you are aware that a lot of members here have had that issue resolved by changing the fluid in the tranny. I used Amsoil MTF myself and it is totally fix. However you might be worried about the warranty. Try this: just open the filler plug ( the one on top) this will drain the excess fluid. For some reason they are overfilled from the factory. This will leave the original fluid in but at the correct level.

·
Registered
28,275 Posts
Yes he is exaggerating a bit to show he is full off the clutch. But half a second? Is that how you shift all the time? With rev hang I find it almost im possible to do a smooth shift in normal driving under half a second going into 2nd gear. 3rd maybe depending on how hard I push the car. The harder I push, the more the rev hang.
I find that with rev hang, the quicker I shift, the quicker the rpms drop. If you sit there holding the clutch, waiting for the the engine speed to drop, it won't. You have to release the clutch smoothly and quickly.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I find that with rev hang, the quicker I shift, the quicker the rpms drop. If you sit there holding the clutch, waiting for the the engine speed to drop, it won't. You have to release the clutch smoothly and quickly.
No, I can shift quickly (and often do). However, that runs the risk of having no time to recognize when it doesn't actually go into third. Then I can either get grinding gears, or extremely rarely it seems like it's in gear, then pops out.

So, the video is showing four examples of the issue. With the clutch slammed to the floor, the shifter does not go into the gear. I also get the same when downshifting, as when coming up to a traffic light. Clutch in, kept to the floor. Shift 6-->5-->4-->clunk then 3-->2-->1.

As far as the fluid change... how often should the fluid be changed? When I had my first oil change (at 6K miles), I complained about this issue. They couldn't duplicate it, but changed the fluid (without telling me until I called back and asked). That (I believe) covered up the underlying issue for about another 6K miles... but should I really have to change my MTF every time I change engine oil? I think changing the fluid at short intervals is just a band-aid fix.

·
Registered
28,275 Posts
When that happens, I'll just throw the clutch down, and start slamming the shifter back and forth between 3rd and 4th. It seems to have improved things, I rarely have 3rd pop out anymore, AND 2nd grinds less often. In fact, I rarely get anything but that nice clean "thud" noise now, when the shifter lands in place.

·
Registered
432 Posts
You could try another dealer- I had to do that with a Jeep transmission to get it replaced a few years ago. Only one dealer out of 4 acknowledged it was a problem and finally replaced it. I had the same issue with my 07 SI of going into 3rd gear- very erratic, not easily duplicated for demonstration. I changed to Amsoil at 18K, no more issues and I have 25K miles now.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: got an email back from the dealership in response to my latest (which included the link to the video). My last local attempt will be to try to meet with the Honda regional rep, show them the video and describe my ongoing attempts to get it fixed. The local dealership has said the regional rep can say 'do it' and thereby avoid the requirement that they duplicate it.

The regional rep will be there this Thursday (10/29). I hope to get there in person, if the rep is there late afternoon; otherwise, I may have to settle with trying to convey it via a phone call, if they'll even do that. Hopefully I can provide a good update then; if not, my next step is to try to get it done over Thanksgiving at a dealership near my relatives in Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the exact same problem. When I shift into 3rd it feels its being blocked and I have to take it out then force it into gear. When I first got the car it used to grind pretty bad when this happened. Now I can usually feel when its not all the way in so I take it out and have to slam it into gear. I told the guy at the dealership and he said hes never heard of this problem. He drove it and said it felt fine, of course. :banghead:

·
Registered
460 Posts
good luck with the reginal rep so you dont have to go through all the hassle!!
i changed the transmission fluid when my car was almost new... grinded a few times by shifting too fast but my third is strong ever since. if none of your options work i say try with amsoil... even after you fix... this may work for a short time but i have seen that it actually works well for a long time...:)

·
Registered
460 Posts
oh actually i do have this weird feeling only on third gear as well
when i shift quick into 3rd, i feel like im getting slightly blocked in half way... but have no problem putting it al the way. if i wait for half a second before going into 3rd gear, it will go away as i feel it... weird..haha

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I had them change the fluid about 1000 miles ago. It felt a little smoother but still have the problem.
I see you're in the OC. Take it to Norm Reeves Honda Cerritos and ask for Adrian Arreola. They will do the 3rd gear TSB no questions asked. I dropped mine off at 7 in the morning and got it back 3 in the afternoon. Apparently not a lot of dealerships have experience with working on transmissions so they either refuse to do it or they take as long as 3-4 days.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I see you're in the OC. Take it to Norm Reeves Honda Cerritos and ask for Adrian Arreola. They will do the 3rd gear TSB no questions asked. I dropped mine off at 7 in the morning and got it back 3 in the afternoon. Apparently not a lot of dealerships have experience with working on transmissions so they either refuse to do it or they take as long as 3-4 days.
Alright, thanks.... I'll take it there some time this week

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
i'll get it occasional while its warming up... shift to 3rd and it feels like it it stuck halfway in... usuallydouble clutch and re-engage and it it fine... maybe happend a half dozen times in the year i've owned the car....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts