8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying for months to diagnose the following problem:

Misfires consistently in all four cylinders ONLY under medium/part throttle (ie, "normal driving").
Idles perfect. No misfires at idle.
No misfires at Wide Open Throttle.
Does NOT misfire if I drive like my grandma (extremely light throttle).

2008 Civic EX 5-speed R18 with 138,000 miles

No check engine light. No codes. I have a scanner, and I can see all four cylinders are misfiring under medium throttle only. It happens almost every time I use medium throttle. Plugs changed at 108,000 miles (NGK Iridium). I'm open to ideas. I will give results from scanner live data, if you ask me to check something. The challenge here is to not throw parts at it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had all 4 cylinders misfire for a while and it turned out to be a bad idler pulley. I bought a cheap one from autozone and it didn’t last. It was creating a harmonic that was throwing things off. I changed plugs, did 2 valve adjustments, and a couple other things before I finally had a shop look at it and tell me I should fix that (idler pulley) before I have them diagnose. Worked fine since

I did have a CEL during that time.

Talkatap From sent using it

·
Registered
89 Posts
It wasn’t really making any noise but I also never thought of checking it. I think they noticed the belt was split in the middle and then noticed the pulley after that. It was over 2 years ago though

·
Registered
89 Posts
Actually The bracket that it’s mounted on was damaged from the wheel shredding it so I think maybe they noticed that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I remembered today that the failure mode sort of precludes simultaneous failure of all four coils. All four cylinders started misfiring at the same time on a road trip I took about a year ago. And they only misfire between 1500-3000 rpm, and only at partial throttle. They don't misfire at full throttle or idle or light throttle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts