8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it's better to hand wax or machine wax with some kind of orbital? I hear that the orbitals can cause swirl marks even when using the proper equipment. Is it possible to create swirl marks by hand when using the right stuff? ie. MF towel or whatever people use to wax.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Hand wax FTW.

Orbitals can cause swirls, yes, because of the pressure you can put on the vehicle's surface. They may save time, but if used improperly, can cause more headaches in the long run.

They only way you can cause swirls by hand is that you are using an abrasive product and / or using a product on a dirty-dusty surface.

Take your time, don't rush, and do one panel at a time.

-Darryl
professional detailer for GM Canada

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
i use a orbital when applying wax. as long as you are careful (ie, don't wax
in the wind with dust, etc) you are fine.

but as posted on the other thread, i dont wax any more like i use to.
i Prima Hydro.

only on my weekend cars do i use Best of Show.

·
VitTuned 4tw
13,661 Posts
Machine with a the softest pad available. Not sure how you would cause swirls with a finishing pad, using a nonabrasive product..

·
Registered
594 Posts
I disagree with the 1st comment, if you use a polisher with a wax/usually red pad then there should be no more worries of causing then there are when you apply by hand. Just set it on a low speed, make sure the pad and paint surface is clean and you are fine. Machines save time, product and strain on you and your hands. They apply a much more even coat.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Why would you use a red pad to apply a wax? Isnt that a cutting pad? at least mine is....

I use hand to apply waxes, not because a machine can damage the paint, but becuase i like how i can apply it more then how the machine does it....I do use a machine when glazing, or polishing or pretty much anything else. Then again I use sealant more then waxes these days

·
Registered
594 Posts
The majority of red pads are for wax. Usually orange and whites are for cutting. It's kind of a universal rule for pad and polish companies but there are some that do their own thing.

A machine will apply a much more even layer where as by hand it will be less consistent.

I always use a sealant now and I always apply a sealant by hand because most of them have to be spread super thin.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hand waxing is best IMO. Orbitals look make your paint look great in the shade, but when the sun/headlights hit it-Ahhhhhhhh swirls everywhere!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts