8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got my 30k checkup done at Honda......all good. Get tires changed, and wheels aligned at pep boyz, all good.

Decided to sell my car at 32k, the potential buyer takes it to pepboys to have it checked out and they find that my rear shocks are leaking. Ask $450 to replace it with after market. FML !! just before a sale.

So I decide to go to Honda, as I believe in OEM parts and luckily this gets covered by warranty !! wohoo !! Car SOLD at KBB !!

However, why did this happen at 32k miles. Was it because

1) I take fast sharp turns on occasions.
2) Dirty Jersey City Roads
3) Been doing some moving for myself and friends, and been carrying **** loads of heavy luggage.

I vote #3, the third time I did this, it was pretty much really heavy bags in the trunk.

Drove once from Wisconsin - NJ (Luggage was in the back seat, LCD TV in the trunk), then drove from NJ - MA and then MA - NJ a couple of times with some heavy bags in the rear and LCD TV in the back seat for a couple of friends. I call it my blU-Hole. Carries everything u put in it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I moved acrose states with my crapped out old saturn, over 100k on the odom and the rear end hanging to the road due to weight. Shocks never blew. IMO it shouldnt happen.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I moved acrose states with my crapped out old saturn, over 100k on the odom and the rear end hanging to the road due to weight. Shocks never blew. IMO it shouldnt happen.
hmm....dunno then....jersey roads then.....some patches are bad in jersey city......

I agree. It shouldn't happen. Good thing the car was still under warranty. $450 is a bit steep in my opinion.
yeah....$200 for parts and rest for labor. OEM shocks are for $50 each on hondaautomovtiveparts.com.

oh well.....warranty rocks !!

·
garage queen
17,376 Posts
i hear this all the time from a buddy at ntb...and the cracking blocks. but havent seen much about the shocks on here

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
#3 is the reason tehy blew. the load capacity of the civic barely covers 4 average sized passengers.
luggage, moving, etc, adds up weight fast. that much weight+ distance traveled = no good.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
#3 is the reason tehy blew. the load capacity of the civic barely covers 4 average sized passengers.
luggage, moving, etc, adds up weight fast. that much weight+ distance traveled = no good.
yeah it was pretty bad once. The rear was so heavy that the front as was almost in the air.

So much so, that my retro cut off was in everyones face. An Inch here, means 5 feet ahead.

Got flashed all the way to Boston. Ooops

·
Registered
877 Posts
Yeah, I'd be very surprised if both rear shocks failed at that low mileage. It was either overloaded severely at some point (not super hard, but does take alot of weight)....or something else looked like the shocks were leaking.

Though i'm guessing honda wouldn't have warrantied it if they hadn't failed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts