8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was bored at work and began thinking what I could do on the exterior that would cost me next to nothing and would improve the look of my car. The one thing I do not like about the si is that it uses chrome badges for the civic, and both emblems. I do not think "sport inspired" cars should have flashy chrome. The jdm red imo does not look right on my red. I can not carbon fiber so painting was the only other option. I left the civic badge alone for right now because I plan on replacing with a 2.0 password jdm badge. What I did first was scuff the chrome with a red 3m pad till all the shine was gone, this left a really nice brushed aluminum look.

The next step was to use a self etching primer so that it really sticks to the smooth service.

I had my painter at my shop paint them the same color as the car and use a matt finish clear.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Just looks like you tried to make them match the car and failed. sorry man. Id get them cleared. They will still stick out and not look cheap like they do now imo

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
using the red 3m pad leaves a "brushed aluminum" finish to all materials, right? i wanna do it to my golf's door handles (inside) and the emblems on the outside.

just scuff in 1 direction and it should leave a nice touch, right?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have a Habanarro Si and was going with black nice try though with the same color just not feeling it...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is a matt clear on them, I did not want them in a glossy finish. The pictures do not do them justice, in person it does match pretty well. Thanks for all your input. Hex in terms of the brushed look yes a 3m scuff pad either red or gray will scuff up shinny stuff to make it look brushed. I don't think you need to go in one direction only. The red is more abrasive than the gray. Also make sure you do not scuff too far or you will hit the base which is usually a brass color.

·
Registered
161 Posts
i like the back, but the front looks off.

for the rear badge, do you guys who remove and paint, re-apply the adheisive that is at the top and bottom of the back of the badge? or just let the clips hold it in? thanks. probably going to DIY rear badge black.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i like the back, but the front looks off.

for the rear badge, do you guys who remove and paint, re-apply the adheisive that is at the top and bottom of the back of the badge? or just let the clips hold it in? thanks. probably going to DIY rear badge black.
I put adhesive just In case it falls off or someone trying to steal it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts