8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 94 prelude with the h22a vtec motor in it. The thing hauls ass, but I've been having problems with it lately- and with my commute to work and college i need something reliable. I am almost 100% positive I will buy a 06+ civic Si coupe. I am going to testdrive one tomorrow if i can get off work early enough. Should I expect it to be faster? The videos I've been seeing of speedometer views while racing were a lil disappointing. Cuz the prelude engine hits a lil over 60 at redline in second, @7500. Saw the si engine gettin to around 56, and didnt seem to get there as quick. It is also a 6speed though so idk.

I've basically already decided on getting the car, just wanna know what to expect.

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hell yeah, thats exactly what I wanted to hear. Can't wait to test drive it- any difference power wise between the coupe and sedan? Im not seeing a very big weight differential. I searched for a thread comparing the two already and found nothing- so sorry if this has already been asked/posted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wish I could do a swap, but there is some body damage to the lude- just dont wanna cough anymore money up into it. So I'm guessing there is no real performance difference between the coupes and the sedans?

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
The H22 engine is old news. If I recall correctly, it put down approximately 160 to the wheels, right? If that's accurate, then the K-series engine is a much more efficient engine and puts about 180 to the wheels. Also, we have the 6MT LSD transmission.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
the only thing you WILL DEFINATELY NOTICE is that the Si will be SLOWER in the corners because it doesn't sit as low, has an entirely different suspension, and is not as wide. I used to auto-x my 95 lude, and went from that to my 07 Si coupe. Now, the sedan does handle better than my coupe IMO, but straight line speed your Si will be much faster than the lude.

·
Banned
18,265 Posts
k series motor > H series motor
K20 > H22
H22<K20:vtec:
:yeahthat: but with exceptions... H = more tq
i raced one like 98? and 2 sec gear i were gone like 3 cars lol...
yea when i raced my friends prelude (99 lude with i/h/e) i beat him by like 2 cars from a dig
98/99's weigh way more than the 94 and are slower... different H22 motor
h22 is slowwwww n havy
umm... JDM H22A 215hp 94 lude weighs about 50-70lbs more than the Si coupe...
Once you drive it you will notice the dif. You can't compare the two because they are really dif motors.
very true...
Leave the street racing stories out of it, they arent allowed on here
:yeahthat:

I personally would just swap a Euro-R H22 in the lude.
ummm... JDM H22 =/= EDM H22 only difference really is the intake manifold... cr is the same, redline, etc...
I wish I could do a swap, but there is some body damage to the lude- just dont wanna cough anymore money up into it. So I'm guessing there is no real performance difference between the coupes and the sedans?
the only difference is the handling the sedan's weight balance is 49/51 the coupe is like 37/63 or something like that...
The H22 engine is old news. If I recall correctly, it put down approximately 160 to the wheels, right? If that's accurate, then the K-series engine is a much more efficient engine and puts about 180 to the wheels. Also, we have the 6MT LSD transmission.
the JDM H22A, like the OP says he has, puts down more than 160hp with way more tq... but they are cursed with longer gears... that's why we shift faster...
the only thing you WILL DEFINATELY NOTICE is that the Si will be SLOWER in the corners because it doesn't sit as low, has an entirely different suspension, and is not as wide. I used to auto-x my 95 lude, and went from that to my 07 Si coupe. Now, the sedan does handle better than my coupe IMO, but straight line speed your Si will be much faster than the lude.
with the right setup on the lude it might do better... but same goes for the Si... stock for stock the Si pwns the lude on corners...

now on to my knowledge:
my friend with exhaust and a Spoon ECU on his lude would be about even with my Si up until about 4th gear where the Si would pull slightly... but then the lude would creep back up slowly... he also ran a very similar time as me at the track with that same setup... we also weighed them and he was like 30lbs heavier than me... but i weigh 220lbs vs his 160lbs...

he put on a fully built drag head (forgot what company) that was used on cars with 1000hp+... with Jun stage 2 cams, ITB's, RMF headers... and some other goodies... he never dyno'd and we never went to the track like that... but let me tell u that thing moved on my car like it was no joke...

pic of RMF header: not his but very similar...

i drove his car plenty of times before he added that stuff and it feels sluggish compared to my Si in stock form... he also had a 92 lude with an H22A in it that boogied like no tomorrow...

i had an H22 in my 98 hatch b4 and i loved it... the Si is more fun b/c of the revs... it revs so easy and smooth...:vtec:

·
Banned
18,265 Posts
:police: multiquote abuse :police:

:hiding:
hahaha... sorry i entered this thread late and had to quote a lot of ppl... :D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts