8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I am talking about this product: http://gtechpro.com/

Okay, I can't seem to get an answer to this. I've seen some people say the Gtech works with our cars and others say it won't because we have a power port and not a cigarette lighter.

I'm not really looking for opinions on how well it works because I think it will be fine for my needs. (testing before/after mods and lateral G's)

I just want to know, do all of the the Gtech's features work with a Civic Si?

Thanks in advance!:thumb: :coffee:

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
never heard of it.. interesting though..

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Yeah I'm interested in this as well.. I don't even care if it's inaccurate in its base readings of the power of the car, as long as it accurately represents power added to the car w/ mods.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
I haven't seen this yet, but it sounds awesome. It should work fine because a power port and Cigarette lighter should be virtually the same. I doubt it will work on a cigarette lighter and not a power port. I know you want a 100% yes or no answer, but I can't see this NOT working in our Hondas.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Wait, I just remembered my father has one for his Camaro! But I don't know if it's GTech, but it's something similar. It works the same, but it's a lot more compact if I remember correctly. I'll look around for it and let you know.

·
Registered
615 Posts
k20z3 Koop said:
First of all I am talking about this product: http://gtechpro.com/

Okay, I can't seem to get an answer to this. I've seen some people say the Gtech works with our cars and others say it won't because we have a power port and not a cigarette lighter.

I'm not really looking for opinions on how well it works because I think it will be fine for my needs. (testing before/after mods and lateral G's)

I just want to know, do all of the the Gtech's features work with a Civic Si?

Thanks in advance!:thumb: :coffee:

A Cig port and Power port are the same thing. They both deliver a current of energy to whatever device is inserted into them. Think about it.....a cell phone charger will work in a port that is called a cig or a power port. The difference is the lighter has the lighter attachment instead of the black cover.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Yeah I guess it will work, But man I went on the website and saw the G-Tech Pro RR man its perfect for AUTOX. Granted we don't really need the shift light on the SI it has alot of great features to help you check your times and help you improve.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
cny said:
A Cig port and Power port are the same thing. They both deliver a current of energy to whatever device is inserted into them. Think about it.....a cell phone charger will work in a port that is called a cig or a power port. The difference is the lighter has the lighter attachment instead of the black cover.
That's what I was thinking when I saw what he said, but I wasn't completely sure.

Btw guys, I have a slightly older one (I think it's a GTech) I just have to find it :thumb: I'll update when I do. I'll be busy literally all day tomorrow, so saturday/sunday I'll check around the house/garage for it.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Hey, I found mine! It's the early model though, the 1994 -2001 model, the Original GTech PRO. I tried using it today, but it doesn't seem to work the right way. I need the owner's manual - I can't find it and my father doesn't remember how to get it to work. Any input?

·
Registered
465 Posts
It doesn't work on our cars. I have one. I had it on my boosted Cr-X. I tried to use it on the boosted Fg2 and it won't work. Power from the lighter isn't the prob. It's reading the cars RPM's thru the lighter thats the problem. It takes a voltage reading thru your cigarette plug and somehow translates it into rpm's (wierd I know) but it works, IF YOU HAVE A CIGARETTE LIGHTER. But maybe our cars rpm signal is different, who knows, but I can tell you to return that thing if you did buy it because its a waste of money for us. I thought about getting the cigarette lighter package for my fg but then I just said screw it. It wasn't the most accurate thing in the world anyway. You have to do a couple qtr mi. runs on a real track to dial it in and you need to be very specific on the weights of the car. It's not worth it. If anybody wants one to try to get it to work I'll sell mine. Just P.M. me.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
It doesn't work on our cars. I have one. I had it on my boosted Cr-X. I tried to use it on the boosted Fg2 and it won't work. Power from the lighter isn't the prob. It's reading the cars RPM's thru the lighter thats the problem. It takes a voltage reading thru your cigarette plug and somehow translates it into rpm's (wierd I know) but it works, IF YOU HAVE A CIGARETTE LIGHTER. But maybe our cars rpm signal is different, who knows, but I can tell you to return that thing if you did buy it because its a waste of money for us. I thought about getting the cigarette lighter package for my fg but then I just said screw it. It wasn't the most accurate thing in the world anyway. You have to do a couple qtr mi. runs on a real track to dial it in and you need to be very specific on the weights of the car. It's not worth it. If anybody wants one to try to get it to work I'll sell mine. Just P.M. me.
ooh it could be calculating whats going on with the alternator to translate to the RPMs ooooh interesting

·
Registered
465 Posts
yup thats what it does. But on our car the signal is all over the map. You can't even begin to try to calibrate it. I've tried, hundreds of times.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts