8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent my comp in for servicing... time goes by....

I call them - oh yeah its ready thanks for calling :pat:

(yeah isn't that your job mr. sony? to tell me when the comp is ready?)

I go and pick it up.... barely anything looks different - they say its fixed - gave me some refurbished parts - great

Go home, reinstall my crap...boom - same f'ing error - my mousepad f's up where it goes haywire.....after spending time reinstalling, and after their service hours are over :punch:

Oh and they don't even want to deal with my comp over the phone anyways cuz its on extended warranty (1 yr and one month now) so they think i have to take it in myself

Oh and they registered my computer when they erased all my dad for themselves - great - now my files have mr. sony's name on it instead of mine...

This must be the thanks for buying two $3000 computers in a row....

Go blow Sony, Go blow!

:chill:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Do you know what program does this?

What OS are you running on it?

I had a vista laptop and after downloading some software the mouse froze and wouldnt move again. It sounds like what ever programs your loading isnt compatable with Either the OS your using or the program running the mouse.

Just my thoughts but im not computer GEEK.....

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Why on earth would you spend $3000 twice on prebuilt crap? For $2k you could have built your own system with room for upgrade further down the road. Good luck with that!

·
Registered
898 Posts
That's why I bought a bare-bones Inspiron 1300. It's been GOLD for 18 months and when it takes a **** on me, I'll just replace it as I don't want to deal with repair jockey's.

·
Premium Member
18,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its a laptop - you don't build your own...

at least not a 2lb 13" one....

and its not a program/os issue

i had the laptop for a year when it started happening - its a Core Duo running XP as it "should"

no recent software or drivers changed etc. its a reoccuring problem that happens 2-3 times a day and been going on for a few months

thanks for the ideas though! i wish it were that simple

what basically happens is that all functions of a mouse are activated at the same time - left/right click, minimize, maximize windows, resizing, grabbing apps that are behind the current vid window after it resizes and makes a small gap

the only solution for the problem is that if i switch vid windows via the alt tab func. it gets rid of the craziness but it still leaves the mouse unusable (except to move it - no clicking etc) for 30 seconds or so

Also i more recently learned if there is no second vid window open, pressing ctrl esc to open start menu also fixes to ^ that point.

since i learned that trick its been the reason why ive been able to "live" with it for a few months - esp when i didn't have a week to be parted with the comp.

still think software? its gone thru full driver restores, complete windows restore etc and software updates

oh and i had bought a 15" behemoth back in 2003 or so when they first came out - had everything, but as i started grad school and moved my comp even more around i wanted a smaller one so i sold the big brother and bought the tiny cool one :D

good grief eh?

·
Premium Member
18,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and for the comp nerds:

VAIO® SZ Series Notebook PC
Specifications
General
Computer Type: Notebook
Type of Use: Ultra Portable
Action Buttons: S1, S2 (programmable) and WLAN/BT RF On/Off
Keyboard: QWERTY, 86 keys with 3mm stroke and 19.05mm pitch
Pointing Device: Electro-Static touch pad
Security: Biometric Fingerprint Sensor
Hardware
Camera: Built-in Camera and microphone
Processor
Type: Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2400
Speed: 1.83GHz
Front Side Bus Speed: 667MHz
L2 Cache: 2MB
Technology: Intel® Centrino® Duo Mobile Technology
Memory
Type: DDR2
Installed: 1GB (PC2-4200)
Maximum: 2GB
Speed: 533MHz
Hard Drive
Capacity: 100GB
Speed: 5400rpm
Interface: Serial ATA
Impact Protection: G-Sensor™ Shock Protection - Hard Disk Drive
Protection
Optical Drive #1
DVD+R DL Write: 2.4x max.
DVD+R Write: 8x max.
DVD+RW Write: 4x max.
DVD-R Write: 8x max.
DVD-RW Write: 4x max.
CD-R Write: 24x max.
CD-RW Write: 16x max.
DVD±RW: Yes
CD Read: 24x max.
DVD Read: 8x max.
DVD-R DL Write: 2x max.
Expansion Slots
Multimedia Card Reader: Supports Memory Stick DUO™ media with
MagicGate® functionality
One ExpressCard™ /34 Slot 5-in-1 Memory Card Adaptor (VGPMCA20)
supporting Memory Stick®, Memory Stick PRO™ , Secure
Digital, xD-Picture Card, and MultiMediaCard (MMC)
One PCMCIA - Type II/Type I card slot with CardBus support
Audio
Sound System: Sony® Sound Reality™ - Audio Enhancer
Display
Screen or Display Technology: WXGA
Screen Size: 13.3”
Resolution: 1280x800
XBRITE™ LCD Technology: Yes
Graphics
Processor: NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7400 and Intel® Graphics Media
Accelerator 950
Video RAM: 862MB (NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7400) and 128MB
dynamically allocated shared (RAM/Video) memory (Intel®
Graphics Media Accelerator 950)
Technology: Hybrid Graphic System, TurboCache™
Chipset: Intel® 945GM
Interface: VGA out w/ Smart Display Sensor
Inputs and Outputs
Ethernet Port: 1
Headphone Jack: 1
i.LINK® Interface: 1 (4pin) i.LINK® connector (IEEE 1394)
Memory Stick® Media Slot: 1
Microphone Input: 1
Port Replicator Connector(s): 1
USB Port(s): 2 (2.0 ports)
VGA Output(s): 1
DC-In: 1
Networking/Modem
Ethernet Protocol: Fast Ethernet (RJ-45)
Ethernet Speed: 10Base-T/100Base-TX
Modem Type: Integrated V.92/V.90 Modem (RJ-11)
Wireless LAN: Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
(802.11a/b/g)
Wireless WAN: Wireless Wide Area Network (WAN) accessing
Cingular Wireless National EDGE Network with SmartWi™
technology (Wireless WAN and Wireless LAN radio do not
transmit simultaneously)
Bluetooth® Technology: Integrated Bluetooth® Technology
Power
Battery Type: Lithium-ion Battery (VGP-BPS2C)
Estimated Battery Life: 2.5-6.0 hours (Standard Battery)
Power Requirements: 105W+10%
Software
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition with
Service Pack 2
Sony® Original Software: SmartWi™ Connection Manager
Click to DVD® - DVD Creation
DVgate Plus™ - Digital Video
SonicStage® Mastering Studio - Audio Mastering and
Remastering
SonicStage® - Digital Music
VAIO Media™ - Network File Sharing
Image Converter - PSP™ Transfer
Underworld - Pre-installed movie
Service and Warranty Information
Limited Warranty: 1 Year Limited Warranty (+1 yr extra care)

Dimensions
Weight: 4.07 lbs. with standard battery (weight is approximate and
may vary)
Measurements: 12.5” (W) x 1.0” -1.5” (H) x 9.3” (D)

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
wing_gundam said:
its a laptop - you don't build your own...

at least not a 2lb 13" one....

and its not a program/os issue

i had the laptop for a year when it started happening - its a Core Duo running XP as it "should"

no recent software or drivers changed etc. its a reoccuring problem that happens 2-3 times a day and been going on for a few months

thanks for the ideas though! i wish it were that simple

what basically happens is that all functions of a mouse are activated at the same time - left/right click, minimize, maximize windows, resizing, grabbing apps that are behind the current vid window after it resizes and makes a small gap

the only solution for the problem is that if i switch vid windows via the alt tab func. it gets rid of the craziness but it still leaves the mouse unusable (except to move it - no clicking etc) for 30 seconds or so

Also i more recently learned if there is no second vid window open, pressing ctrl esc to open start menu also fixes to ^ that point.

since i learned that trick its been the reason why ive been able to "live" with it for a few months - esp when i didn't have a week to be parted with the comp.

still think software? its gone thru full driver restores, complete windows restore etc and software updates

oh and i had bought a 15" behemoth back in 2003 or so when they first came out - had everything, but as i started grad school and moved my comp even more around i wanted a smaller one so i sold the big brother and bought the tiny cool one :D

good grief eh?
when you say complete windows restore have you used the recovery disk or just used windows restore?

·
Premium Member
18,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah it works fine with a regular mouse - its the touchpad thats broken

but i use the touch about 90% of the time - impractical to bring a mouse

and its an SZ220P

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
wing_gundam said:
yeah it works fine with a regular mouse - its the touchpad thats broken

but i use the touch about 90% of the time - impractical to bring a mouse

and its an SZ220P
Does it still act up while using the other mouse? How soon after the reimage did the touchpad start acting up?

·
Premium Member
18,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no its always fine with the other mouse but it can act up on the touchpad whether its plugged in or not

it's also not a factor of getting signals crossed as its still happening after the system redo (and no other mouse has been linked yet)

it acts up randomly about 2-3 times x day.... can't really predict when it occurs, not really associated to other programs or usb interfaces

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
wing_gundam said:
no its always fine with the other mouse but it can act up on the touchpad whether its plugged in or not

it's also not a factor of getting signals crossed as its still happening after the system redo (and no other mouse has been linked yet)

it acts up randomly about 2-3 times x day.... can't really predict when it occurs, not really associated to other programs or usb interfaces
Does it seem to click on something as you are using the touchpad or when you use the mouse buttons? Does your left click become a right click? do you get erratic movement from the touchpad?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
wing_gundam said:
not using the buttons - erratic movement from the touchpad as you said but it takes on all buttons and functions as it goes around
I am reading up on the issue and it seems that a lot of people have the same problem. Do you notice it happening after your laptop comes out of hibernation? One person said they uninstalled their biometrics and i worked for a couple of days. Another said they got help from sony and they had to clean the touchpad that it was dusty inside and caused the issue. Did you get an extended warranty? Have you tried going to the sony website and looking for a driver update?

·
Premium Member
18,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thx for the extra help!

no its not from the biometrics - never use it

and i don't clean it etc

and not from hibernation, although i use hiberantion over night usually...but it happens hours and hours later etc.

plus this new time *shudder* completely destroys all other rules y'know? i was installing apps or moving files in the back ground, nothing mouse intensive

and yes to the extended care

1 - 20 of 26 Posts