8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys finished my install, I have power going to a distro block under the driver seat with my JL zr 6.5 crossovers. And the power going to the trunk for the sub amp, and the other lead going over to the passenger seat where I have a alpine pdx 4/100. Not sure where to ground the amp though. I currently have it going to one of the bolts for the rear seat. I did sand down the paint so it does have a good surface but I have noticed the amp cut out twice now, and i have a little whine/engine noise. Where have you all grounded your amps under the seat?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Engine noise could be a few things..

-Loops in the RCA wire, make sure the RCA's are not bunched up anywhere.
-Bad RCA out's at the deck (pioneer is known for this) and you can ground the RCA to solve it. Just wrap the RCa cable at the back of the headunit in wire and screw it/soder it the the Headunit.

Personally, I have ground all my wire into my vehicle chasis as one of my friends did the same thing but to a rear seat bolt and it was pretty iffy.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Engine noise could be a few things..

-Loops in the RCA wire, make sure the RCA's are not bunched up anywhere.
-Bad RCA out's at the deck (pioneer is known for this) and you can ground the RCA to solve it. Just wrap the RCa cable at the back of the headunit in wire and screw it/soder it the the Headunit.

Personally, I have ground all my wire into my vehicle chasis as one of my friends did the same thing but to a rear seat bolt and it was pretty iffy.
Well I do have a pioneer deck so I will definately have to give that a shot, also my rca wire is pretty long so there is alot of it bunched behind the deck. I didnt think that would cause it though. where would you suggest I put all the slack of the rca cable?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so I grounded the H/U, and sorted out the extra Rca wire bunched behind the deck, and the engine/alt noise has gone away. Although lately w/in past few days I would notice when going over bumps that my PDX going to my components would shut off or so I thought but the sub would stay on. Well this got progressively worse to where the sub amp was "shutting off" along with the comp amp. I assumed ok not necessarily grounding issue, so i pulled up the back seat to make sure the RCA wasnt pinched, because I have never once had issues with sub/amp. Well it's become unbearable music will play for 3 seconds, cut off for 10, come back etc. The H/U continues to play the song and doesnt skip a beat. I was driving and reached over and pulled the passenger seat forward and while it was silent (music cut out) the PDX amp still was lit up as turned on. So any suggestions on where to start, I'm going insane with no music in my car. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Ok so I grounded the H/U, and sorted out the extra Rca wire bunched behind the deck, and the engine/alt noise has gone away. Although lately w/in past few days I would notice when going over bumps that my PDX going to my components would shut off or so I thought but the sub would stay on. Well this got progressively worse to where the sub amp was "shutting off" along with the comp amp. I assumed ok not necessarily grounding issue, so i pulled up the back seat to make sure the RCA wasnt pinched, because I have never once had issues with sub/amp. Well it's become unbearable music will play for 3 seconds, cut off for 10, come back etc. The H/U continues to play the song and doesnt skip a beat. I was driving and reached over and pulled the passenger seat forward and while it was silent (music cut out) the PDX amp still was lit up as turned on. So any suggestions on where to start, I'm going insane with no music in my car. :banghead:

You don't have your amps wired to some crazy ohm load that they can't handle do you?

I would triple check the ground as moving it to a solid area on the chasis of your car is easy to do.

Check yoru RCA cables. Make sure they are tight and plugged in all the way, nothign it touching them at the amp same apples at the back of the deck as when you grounded them there should be no wires touching from one side to the other.

If none of those works, swap amps with a friend to see if their amp cuts out in your car still and vice versa.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will try to go ahead and change the ground on the pdx (component amp) as that's the one I currently have to the pass seat. I guess my confusion is what would be causing my JL 500/1 amp for my sub to cut out as well. My sub is set to 4ohm, and the amp is set, with a very solid ground point. But I appretiate the input I have double checked all rca's and I will double check where I grounded the H/U but it was doing it prior to when I grounded it. Looks like Ill have to tear up all the seats and carpet again to make sure all wires are run right. But I'll take you're advice and plug in an amp I have laying around the house to make sure.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have a voltmeter? Are you sure your amps aren't going into protect? Either that or your remote wire is loose.

Hans
Pretty sure they arent going into protect, the blue light on top of the pdx should turn red if that is happening (not ruling that out though)
And initially I thought it could have been the remote wire so when I had the deck out grounding it I made sure the remote wire was soldered and not loose. I will get after it with the voltmeter when I get off work. Thanks though for the suggestions, at this point I'm trying to rule out everything I can to find the source of the issue.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
You may have already done this, but when you checked the remote wire, did you check the connections in any harnessess, and open up the head unit and look at the connection on the board itself? Also, trace the remote wire back to the amps - the jacket could be frayed and rubbing/bumping into something metal and grounding out, causing your intermittent issue. If its not a voltage problem, that's where I'd look next.

You might want to try temporarily wiring a single led or the like in line on the remote ciruit, and keep an eye on it. If the LED goes out when the amps cut off, its a remote problem. If the LED stays on, the problem is elsewhere.

Either way, sounds like a real PITA.

Hans

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
update**

Hey guys just figured I would post to let you know what the problem was.
I went after the car with a multimeter, and I regrounded the amp under my passenger seat, tried new rca's. But come to find out the megafuse that came with my wiring kit by the battery was barely hanging in the slots :pat:. So each time I would go over a bump it would shift or lose connection. Once I checked that and barely touched the fuse it fell down into the bay. After spending a good 10 mins fishing that out put everything back together and it works perfect.

Thank you all for you help and suggestions! :thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.