8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
AS good as Megan?!?

Ground Control was and continues to be a standard in the industry when it comes to research and development, product testing, and above all performance and quality. Ground Control isn't 'as good as' Megan Racing, GC sh*ts all over them. I wouldn't even put them in the same playing field.

Go over to any auto-x or road racing forum and you'll find literally tons of people that prefer Ground Control Coilovers w/ Custom rated springs and valved Koni shocks over any coilover available on the market that costs less than $4000.

Are you on crack? How on earth would you come to the rationalization that since they're sold on eBay, they can't be good?! You know, our Civic's are sold on eBay. So are Bentley's, Rolls Royce, Porsche, Ferrari, Maybach, and every other tangible item in the world. They must all suck too.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thats not exactly what i ment. when i had my old 98 ex i was told not to use ground controls and go with teins instead. but a little bit ago while i was looking at suspension options and found this and thought with stock shocks it would be beneficial to get over just lowering springs, would it not?

ive just heard mixed reviews of megan and mixed reviews of ground control not saying either is bad or good all i said was i *heard

thanks for the flame

·
Registered
194 Posts
You'd be better off with springs and stock struts. Because the spring rates of the Ground Controls has to be stiff enough where you won't bottom out if you decide to lower them all the way, they're going to be too rough for stock struts. If you plan on keeping the stock struts for a while, go with a spring that doesn't drop your car so much and has a progressive spring rate, like stock.

I have Progress, but Comptech, Eibach, H&R, and TEIN are all good choices as well.

As far as TEIN coilovers go, most will argue that unless you're spending big money (The FLEX and anything less don't count), you're better off with the Koni/GC setup. Koni hasn't officially released any products for our car, but they're expected soon.

Although this is all arguable because chances are, you're not going to drive the car to it's full potential with it's stock suspension, let alone $5000 Moton suspension, it doesn't really make a difference.

It all comes down to you. Get what you want. You probably just want a nice drop with adjust ability, so go buy some Tein's and call it a day. My .02 would be to buy something that is steel-bodied like the T1R, H&R, or any of the TEIN and stay away from anything Aluminum bodied such as Megan, D2, Ksport, or any other of the million generic crap coilover suspension out there.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
says these coilovers arent gunna work with koni shocks (thats the ebay listing) not sure if its true..but as far as me taking it dropped as far as itll go on stock shocks the chance of that happening is prty slim..i just want a somewhat adjustable setup that run on stock shocks for a while till i get aftermarket ones by tokico or koni's if theyll work...just was wonderin if this was as good as say me getting some s-techs..or a prokit..as far as springs and flexibility/drivability go on a stock setup

·
Registered
260 Posts
You're going to need to order a different sleeeve for the ground controls if you decide on Konis shocks. My advice would be to wait until the Konis are released so you dont have to do the same thing twice.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this is true.

i really wanna drop now though..haha

maybe ill just go stechs for a while..?

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im bring my thread back from the dead, cuz im really looking into these coilovers..could someone explain to me the problems that ground control is having with them? did they fix it yet?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Are you on crack? How on earth would you come to the rationalization that since they're sold on eBay, they can't be good?! You know, our Civic's are sold on eBay. So are Bentley's, Rolls Royce, Porsche, Ferrari, Maybach, and every other tangible item in the world. They must all suck too.

I heard someone tried to sell their family once :)

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
on a serious note, im really looking into these to ride on stock shocks till i can switch to koni's...is their any info i should know cuz i really would like to order them asap...tax monies uk..

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
my friend got these for his fa5 a while ago still on stock shocks. when i rode in it, it felt like stock, and he seemed to drop it pretty low.its been a few months since then, i dont know how they are now, but i have 3 friends with the GC coilovers and none of them had any complaints. 1 on an integ, rsx, and fa5. im going for these coilovers soon, i have s. techs and gonna switch them out for the GCs

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
I ran across those same coilovers and they had me intrigued. Under $400 for a full coilover, yet GC seems to be highly regarded. Doesn't seem to mix

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Whaaaattt? They aren't garbage. Please search.

Koni + ground control is like the best bang for your buck setup on cars..

Just because they aren't a coilover in the typical sense(damper included) doesn't mean they're crap.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts