8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone experienced a grinding sound when you start your car up in the morning? After the car is already warmed up and then i start it again this sound
doesn't replicate... but every morning when i start the car i just hear something grinding and its coming from the engine bay. Thanks, let me know.

**UPDATE** 1/2/07

Ok so today I dropped off my car at honda and they'll start it up tommroow morning and try to diagnose the problem. I told them that it might be the starter.

**UPDATE** 1/3/07

Service manager just called me awhile ago and told that it's definitely the starter that is making that sound. He is overnighting replacement part and my car will be ready to get picked up tommorow afternoon. This is all covered under warranty so if any of you guys are experiencing the same problems I am, then just go ahead and take it in and you'll be taken care of. I have an intake & exhaust and i'm glad my dealer didn't try to pull an excuse out of their ass and blame it on that.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i always get my oil changed at the dealer.. so whatever the stock oil is.. mobil 1 sae-w40. same oil that goes into the s2000's. and i'm guessing just the honda filters...

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
I have this same thing. It honestly sounds like the grinding it coming from right behind where the VSA button is, oddly. Is this 'bad' or just a neg. aspect of winter that will go away when it warms up?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Agreed. However, this could take months if not years before it actually "needs" replaced (i.e. does not start the car) but every time it grinds, its not good on your tranny... just like when the car is started and you try to start it again.
true. my 02 civic's starter started grinding around 30k miles and around 40k had to be replaced. but why wait til you find out ur car won't start to replace?

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
WTF does this have anything to do with the grinding sound?

to the OP, is it a grinding sound immediately right after the car starts? and is it kinda loud? if so, most likely, it's your starter.
On certain types of cars, one example would be some Nissan models, if the oil level is low enough it intermittently creates a metal grinding noise at start up.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmmm thanks a lot for the input guys, i'll check my oil level and if it's at the correct level then i'll bring it into the dealership and have it taken a look at. Yes, it makes the sound right after i start the car. my car has about 22k miles on it and i really can't remember how long its been happening... maybe like 3 or 4 months? i've had the car for a year now. thanks for all of your thoughts. i love this forum and happy new years!

·
Registered
221 Posts
It could be that the ring gear teeth are getting worn because of a loose or improperly mounted starter. Once the flywheel ring gear is worn, it will gradually get spots where the teeth are no longer able to be engaged by the starter and CHHRRRRAAFAASAFAAA is all you will hear. I say just take it to the dealership.

·
Registered
935 Posts
its been really cold here the past couple days and my car was doing this, so i took it in and they heard the same noise... thank god but they dont know what it is.

they are gonna call me tomarrow when the teck-line gets back to them about it

hmmmm

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Mine did it this morning as well, it got down to 15 degrees here and its the first time its done it. It only did it once though and then it started right up. I couldnt get it to do it again all day. So i hope its just cold weather related.

btw my Si has 47,000 miles on it as well.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well my car had 20k-ish miles.. i guess mines was just really faulty then. they overnighted me a new starter and i'll have my car picked up tommorow afternoon... TWO days without my car.. i feel like dying

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.