8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Recently purchased my 2010 Civic Si 125km (77Miles) and want to perform some routine fluid maintenance. Opened my coolant reservoir and it has green coolant already in it... I have no service history on the car, but from my reading i understand it needs to be Type 2 blue.

My question: Can i drain (Only radiator) and mix the blue Honda type 2 with green? or would i need to have it completely drained and filled with blue.

Thank you,

Stejero

·
Registered
193 Posts
Honda suggests changing coolant at 120K kms. Since it is time to change and you want to use a different type, it is advisable to use a flush and completely clean and drain the existing coolant and refill with new.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response @bakumar. From my understanding the current green coolant isn't original, it should have been Blue from the factory. This tells me its either been flushed before, or someone has drained and filled green enough times to dilute most of the original blue.

Still would like to know if green can be mixed with blue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used to just take mine to get cheap maintenance done and had some green Prestone put in it for about 70,000 miles. Then I started doing my own maintenance and got some blue Honda put in it for the past 15,000 miles, which I just drained and filled it.
Have yet to experience any issues, but keeping it in mind.

·
Registered
193 Posts
To my knowledge, there's no harm if you just drain the old coolant and fill the new one. Even I've the green one instead of the blue. But planning to change to the pink coolant used by the Audi/VW group some time soon.

Each brand has it's own colour and chemical composition depending on the intended use and also the climatic conditions. For eg. some coolants used in snowy conditions have anti freeze properties whereas coolants used in tropical countries don't need that property but are designed to handle higher temperatures. So there is actually no harm if don't flush but in case you are changing to anti freeze coolant without flushing the regular one, you may dilute the new coolant's properties and nothing more.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like the dealer i purchased the car from just "topped off" the overflow tank with green coolant. I have changed the overflow tank and did a drain and fill. Cleared out almost a 1.5 jugs of type 2 coolant.

I have a feeling the green didn't mix much from the overflow to the radiator. Not overly concerned now!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts