8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in a thread I had started in the SoCal section a while back, but the topic was different and I think I'll get a much faster response here..

So I got my Evo2 today, I was wondering if there is a gasket thats goes between the midpipe and catalytic converter? Cuz I kno my oem doesn't have one and one didn't come with the bolts. There was only one gasket for the midpipe and axelback joint.

Do I need to have a gasket between the catalytic converter? I had one when I had my Skunk2, but my oem setup never had anything there. If I do need one, where can I got one? Pepboys maybe?

Please and thank you for any help! Rep for those who help me! :thumb:

·
Registered
700 Posts
i think the oem uses a donuc gasket, check the oem parts website, i think it has a "donut" gasket, it's like a metal ring, but i'm not 100% on this one since i'm still on stock exhaust ryt now, but my rsx b4 had a gasket.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Heh, I just asked a similar question last week. Installed the Apexi WS2 catback myself over the weekend.

OEM doesn't come with any gaskets. Technically you don't need a gasket connecting the catalytic converter and B-pipe, but I got one to be safe.

I went to Autozone for the cat > b-pipe gasket (triangular shaped), then went to Pepboys for the diamond-shaped gasket flange. Go to the parts guy, ask for an exhaust gasket (specify if it's triangular or not, and the inner piping diameter). So I put gaskets in each flange, three total. Sure it wasn't part of the kit, but better safe than sorry. They cost $3.50 each. IMO it's good for peace of mind. For the two gaskets on the resonators I used silicon sealant to seal the gasket, didn't put it on the cat > b-pipe gasket (forgot to do so).

No exhaust leaks, so I'm happy. I'd fork the extra $10 and get em just to be safe. Oh and my cat gasket holes didn't quite match, so I had a heck of a time carving longer holes so that they'd fit the flange, egh.

·
Registered
700 Posts
18393-SS0-J30 GASKET, PRE CHAMBER (57.5MM-58.5MM)

this is the gasket i was referring to. i guess you don't have to change this when you swap out your cat back. people usually call them donut gasket.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
i didnt use a gasket between the cat and midpipe because OEM and evo2 didnt come with one... i havent had any leaks yet so i think we're safe

·
Registered
700 Posts
^^ lol.. the donut is like a ring you put on at the end of the pipe, it's suppose to go in on the cat side, people don't change it anyway so you should be fine. but there is a donut flexible gasket in there.. lol if you want to look at the oem illustration on college hills honda, you'll see it..

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
you won't need one until you switch to an aftermarket header that removes the cats internal donut gasket. then you should run a gasket from the header to the exhaust.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts