8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going through insurance (the accident wasnt my fault, some guy decided to switch into my lane without checking his blind spot on the highway).

I have a large dent + massive scratches on my back quarter panel + parts of the HFP lip at the back (near the wheel).

I was wondering...

should I take the car to the Honda dealer?
should I take it to a reputable auto body shop?

theres a couple things to consider:
- I want a GOOD job done
- I also have a slight dent + scratch on my front fender that i never bothered to fix, but i could get it fixed with the new accident at a private shop

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
A good reputable shop would do fine. Honda doesn't do any bodywork. They use a second party for that. A local shop.
my local honda dealer has there own body shop. the other local one contracts it out to macco, so not all honda dealers are the same. go with a reputable shop.

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
I am going through insurance (the accident wasnt my fault, some guy decided to switch into my lane without checking his blind spot on the highway).

I have a large dent + massive scratches on my back quarter panel + parts of the HFP lip at the back (near the wheel).

I was wondering...

should I take the car to the Honda dealer?
should I take it to a reputable auto body shop?

theres a couple things to consider:
- I want a GOOD job done
- I also have a slight dent + scratch on my front fender that i never bothered to fix, but i could get it fixed with the new accident at a private shop

What do you guys think?
That sucks bro... what type of insurance policy do you have.
deductables?
Company?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, its actually my first accident (sigh, i was on a good streak too).. so im guessing i get a "Freebie". but im guessing now my i-VTEC decal needs to be replaced because the rear quarterpanel is attatched to that part? the least of my worries, but yeah. I am hoping the paint is correctly matched

·
Registered
160 Posts
Take it to a reputable shop. They will work with the other persons insurance and get you a quote on the work to be done. Go over it well with the body guy and if there is something you see that needs to be fixed that isn't on the quote, point it out to him.

Believe me, they WANT more work to do, they get more $$$ and the good ones will get the adjuster to pony up for the additional repairs.

It's not your fault, insurance won't go up, don't worry about that.

I had my EX for 2 months and got nailed pretty good, to the tune of $7,800. The body shop had to do a couple amendments as they got into the work they noticed other things they and the adjuster missed. He also fixed a small rock ding not associated with the accident and passed the cost to the ins. co.

I'd also advise to go through the other persons insurance company and let them pay the body shop directly. If you go through yours, you will be out the deductible and will have to wait for a "refund" from the other ins. company to yours, then the check to you. Too much hassle.

Also, be DANG SURE to go over the repairs when it's time to pick up your vehicle. My clearcoat was a disaster and I had to make them redo all of it before I took possession of the vehicle. They were nice about it, but remember, the faster they work, the faster they get their money and the more work they can do.

Here's a few of my wreck, even broke the wheel and the front suspension.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I'd take it to a reputable bodyshop. I am fed up with the crappy job dealerships do. They don't seem to care or bother to do things right.

Avoid O'Donnell Honda of Ellicott City Maryland. They will damage your car.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
im in pretty much the same situation as you
some guy turned into my lane and ended up hitting my passenger door and i have yet to fix it
the insurance company is saying that it might be 50-50 at fault because the guy is denying that he turned into my lane and hes saying i turned into his. something like that
it sucks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts