8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my ass got canned today. I've been working for an insurance company for the past 3.5 years and was doing pretty well financially. I was fired for fake documenting (saying I was calling people when I wasn't---very common in the industry)....Anyway...I'm pretty bummed, but WTF?

I suppose it's time to go back to school...been thinking about it for a while...

Thank god I have 20k+ in my 401k to use until school starts in January (next semester I can apply for)...

Anyway, I'm weighing my options here re school and would like some opinions:

I do hold a bachelors in History (ya, useless)

I have 3 options as I see it:

1. Go back and get a PhD...5 years to complete and crappy money, but I would love to teach college

2. Go back to law school (did 1 semester a year ago) 3 years to complete plus dealing with the bar exam:eek:hnoes:

3. Go to pilot school. Takes 1.5 years to complete...the catch is the money sucks fat balls for the 1st few years...I'm sort of leaning toward this as it actually sounds fun and I love to travel...

Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
pilot. If its what you would actualy like to do. Money may suck at first, but it will pick up and be worth it in the long run.

I got into an apprentiship knowing the pay would suck at first, but in a few more years i will make plenty of money for easy ass work and i love my job.

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
I say go back to Law school. With the knowledge that you have you could easily get a job that would make a nice amount of cash, not to mention you could also help organizations such as Norml with their fight to legalize marijuana, whether it be medicinal or recreational (which would be a huge cash crop for the government as far as taxes are concerned).

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Drug testing in the workplace is fine (IMHO) if there is a reason to do it. I mean, sure if someone if f'ing up hard because they're stoned sure! But for the rest of us that like to smoke a bowl in the evening and it never effects our work I see no reason for it...

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
we get randoms, which is bullsh!t. I would never go to a construction site stoned, but if i want to go home and smoke i cant even do that. I dont work for a company 24/7 only 8/5 and yet im not allowed to do what i want on my time. Thats my whole thing with it not being lagit to give random UAs.

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
anavrin351 said:
we get randoms, which is bullsh!t. I would never go to a construction site stoned, but if i want to go home and smoke i cant even do that. I dont work for a company 24/7 only 8/5 and yet im not allowed to do what i want on my time. Thats my whole thing with it not being lagit to give random UAs.
I agree...Get a Whizinator! It's a lifesaver! Ok, back on topic people (talking to self too)

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Coming from hippy parents, my views are drugs are somewhat...conservative. However, having seen the effect first hand over far too many years, I would agree. A bowl in the evening has little or no effect the next day. Personally, I could care less if one of my staff pursued such activities judiciously. No worse than another staff member tanking shots or beer the night before.

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Janizary said:
Coming from hippy parents, my views are drugs are somewhat...conservative. However, having seen the effect first hand over far too many years, I would agree. A bowl in the evening has little or no effect the next day. Personally, I could care less if one of my staff pursued such activities judiciously. No worse than another staff member tanking shots or beer the night before.
Hell, to take that further, weed doesn't even give you a hangover...yet, getting smashed after work is 100% a-ok...go figure...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts