8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent an e-mail to Peter Tarach, editor of Modified Magazine. He had asked in an editorial for readers to submit ideas for magazine articles. I specifically addressed the issues facing our cars.

==================================================================
Here is my e-mail to Peter Tarach, a great guy:

Peter, love the magazine. I am 56 years old and got into the Tuner Scene when I bought a 2007 Honda Civic Si Sedan. I have a Vibrant Race Header w/hfc, Vibrant cat-back exhaust, custom designed airbox that uses cowl induction, an M&M intake scoop, window tint, Falken RT615 tires, replica Works CR-Kai wheels, Mugen rear wing, HFP front lip, Skunk2 shift knob, carbon overlays on the B pillars, red JDM Honda emblems and a carbon fiber roof diffuser. I am also a moderator on 8th Gen Civic.

I plan on many other mods including suspension work, Mugen side skirts and rear diffuser as well as more motor mods. Which leads me to why I am e-mailing you.

The 8th Gen Civic with the K20Z3 motor is extremely difficult to make hp with. Yes, you can run a S/C like CT or JRSC, or a turbo for that matter. However, the motor is hampered by DBW, a MAF with vanes and an ECU that can only be reflashed.

As it now stands, Hondata has made it clear that they will not now or ever come out with a standalone ECU similar to K-Pro for the K20A2 and Z1 motors used in the RSX-S. Without proper tuning, one cannot maximize changing of cams. There are tuning options out there like GReddy e-manage and AEM F/IC, but they are limited in their parameters of tuning and seem geared more for forced induction than N/A.

The DBW has prevented using a larger throttle body. There are companies that allow for a taper bore of the TB, but having a larger TB in conjunction with higher lift/duration cams and better exhaust scavenging would be nice. Also, for guys running either S/C's or turbos, they too would benefit from a larger TB.

I have not seen much in the way of modding the 8th Gen Civic Si, an extremely popular platform, other than the usual bolt ons like header, cat-back and intake. Speaking of intakes, only AEM is addressing the MAF housing with vanes issue. They have come out with a CAI that uses something similar to the Si housing. [As an aside, I have a custom made MAF housing designed by a fellow member of 8th Generation Civic. It was designed to work with a race header and cat-back and has dynoed about 10 hp greater than stock. It also maintains proper A/F ratios.] Most other intakes sadly do nothing with a MAF housing with vanes.

I say all this because I would like to see articles on dealing with the challenges of tuning new cars designed to meet the challenges of emissions and fuel economy. I would also like to see an article about why there has been such a dearth of motor mods available for the 8th Gen Civic Si.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. As always, love the magazine.

==========================================================
Now, here is his response:
Hey Bill,

Thanks for the email. I am working on some more tech articles on the 8th gen Civic and Ill do my best to address some of the issues you’ve brought up as they are very legit ones.

PT
==========================================================

I am excited that an editor of a major Tuner magazine would take the time to read and reply to my e-mail. The more publicity we get, the greater the chance of companies stepping up and addressing issues we face with the K20Z3 motor.

It would not hurt to write to Modified Magazine and other Tuner Magazine, requesting more product development for our cars. Publicizing and promoting our cars in the media can only further our cause.

Edit: Got this from Hondata, post #42. Here is what was said:

Not true. 1/3 of the staff at Hondata own a Civic Si. We have been working hard for the last two years on a user programmable solution for the Civic Si. We are aware of the interest and need for such a product and it is our top priority.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was just reading their mag yesterday and they had the SI tested with the DCRH header and exhaust combo. Gained 18 hp.
Yes, that is why I mentioned that the usual stuff-intakes, headers and cat-backs have been addressed by Tuner mags. But beyond that, we are coming up short. I want to get this publicized so that companies like Cobb Sport, Hondata and even the cam manufacturers will step up and address our particular needs.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.