8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.. I'm new to the forum...
I just confirmed my order and everything about a week ago on my Coupe EX... its coming like in a week or so... Problem is I actually wanted the Si, just that I desperately need a car now and I can't really wait (When winter sets in, its unbelievebly sad to walk in minus 30 celsius)... so here is what I wanna know if anyone could help me out..
If I were to mod the car, is it possible to actually change the engine type to DOHC, like is it possible to add that extra camshaft in just by modding the engine?? and how much would that probably end up if I have to put that in.. probably ending up modding the ECU too and all that... Anyone got any aproximation??

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
you'd have to have custom work done on the NON SI car. You're talking about some company basically fabricating an entire head for you. Unless you have deep pockets, it won't happen.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey, I'm in da same boat. I really want an SI, but don't want to wait because I need a car now. I thought I would buy an EX and later down the road turn it into an SI.
Well that aint gonna happen because their really to diffrent cars as far as drive terain.
Tha motor and tranny is totally diffrent and the SI has LSD, so in order to bring an EX to an SI it would require lots of moola.
But then I thought about it, and since I don't plan on racing the car I just decided to go with the EX.
Besides that the EX gets way better fuel economy, and with the price of gas it just makes better cents to buy the new 2006 Civic coupe EX 1.8L I-VTEC.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
06civicex said:
Hey, I'm in da same boat. I really want an SI, but don't want to wait because I need a car now. I thought I would buy an EX and later down the road turn it into an SI.
Well that aint gonna happen because their really to diffrent cars as far as drive terain.
Tha motor and tranny is totally diffrent and the SI has LSD, so in order to bring an EX to an SI it would require lots of moola.
But then I thought about it, and since I don't plan on racing the car I just decided to go with the EX.
Besides that the EX gets way better fuel economy, and with the price of gas it just makes better cents to buy the new 2006 Civic coupe EX 1.8L I-VTEC.
yea.. thats why i always like to buy the top-most model for that series... cuz it costs them less to build it right from scratch and besides... if you try to upgrade back to the same stuff its gonna cost u a whole lot... like wut i mean is if u buy a LX and try to put the moonroof, break discs.. and all that stuff in it.. ur gonna end up paying way more then that 1.8k CAD ur paying when u buy it right at the start... well I do enjoy racing around sometimes, but i'm no mechanical guy, I try to learn more about it now though since i really do plan on modding the car a bit, but i guess i will just have to stick with the SOHC engine... so.. when u getting ur car? cuz mines gonna be here next week or the start of the week after that...

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't know when I will actually get one. I've been given several diffrent dates when their suppose to be here, but I still have not seen an EX coupe with manual. From what I read Honda is running behind on production.

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
yah, to make a NON SI an SI, you'd have to put in the K series engine, and the the tranny with the LSD to just get started. The SI has completetly different suspension parts as well. Basically the RSX-S motor with a tranny and ecu (almost the same as the SI minus the balanced shaft) runs about 5k without installation. It wouldn't be worth it to swap either.

·
Registered
245 Posts
06civicex said:
I was also in the same situation. I was 60-70% sure that I was going to pick up an Si when it comes out. However, I went with the EX for several reasons:
* There WILL be a markup on Si's; no doubt about it.
* Premium gas
* This will be my 2nd car and I really don't need 2 performance cars
* I wanted a great looking, reliable, sporty, and fuel-efficient car.
* I don't autox or track my cars

Si will be hawt - that's for sure. Maybe I'll get one a few years from now, but I'm very pleased with the EX.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
man i have 2 people at my school that already have the civics (white and silver) and i walk by them every morning 4 days a week and im so happy that im holding back my erges to just get an Ex because those are all reasons that i would get one... but then again there are so many more reasons that i SHOULD get the si! :D hint hint spank some type-s booty! muhahaha lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts