8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have a small or probably large problem.

I’ve had my SC for about 2 years now, and I’ve had pretty much every problem in the book with it. I’ve replaced both idler pulleys a minimum of 2 times each, until I designed a smooth pulley for myself.

I’ve had my SC rebuilt due to the main seal bearing failing on the input shaft, leaking oil.

I modified my stock injectors, loaded the stage 2 tune, and walla. Crapola. The short term fuel trims were so far off the vehicle was nowhere near drivable. There was no way I would be able to drive in WOT, even with the 3.6” pulley I had. I was running in the 13/14:1 range in boost. I am now running the ID725's.

So, I paid Jeff Evans to tune my vehicle when he came out to phoenix, but I wanted him to do a 3” + meth setup. I wasn’t able to acquire the methanol I was looking for yet, so I had him tune with just the 3” pulley. Funny thing was, according to my 4bar map sensor, I was only seeing about 8-8.5 lb of boost, when according to the others running a 3”, including Hondacare here in phoenix, I should be seeing around 10-11psi. Jeff tuned it so it was drivable, and I began looking for the boost leak. I looked at the tapped holes for the boost gauge and the AIS boost pressure switch, both are sealed up just fine.

I did a compression check pre-evans tuning and the numbers were 205, 205, 210, 210.
So, since Phoenix summers are coming, I decided to take it upon myself to put together a 50/50 mix of meth/water, and set out to tune the AFR myself. So I turned it on, tuned my AFR (see attached datalog) and aside from the loss in boost, everything seemed fine. I was getting a little bit of a bogging issue, so I did advance my timing slightly which seemed to remove the issue, but I wasn’t seeing any knock, det, etc.

Next problem, I am seeing a tremendous amount of knock, I’m also seeing knock retard during normal driving, most likely due to the knock I’m seeing. The sensor seems to always pick up knock, at a certain RPM range, and occasionally elsewhere, but always between 5000 and 6000 rpm. No matter how much timing I pull here, I cannot seem to remove this phenomenon.

Right now, my thoughts are a couple of things

1st – Blower is not functioning correctly, which is leading to issues with boost. Also, I noticed when I took the blower off, there is some “play” in the shaft before the rotors begin to turn. In otherwords I can turn the pulley about 5 degrees before the rotors begin to move. Also if I shake the blower, or wobble it, I can ear something audible moving. I tried to take a vide of this but unfortunately it’s just too faint to pick up.

2nd – There is something inherently wrong with my engine. Not sure what this might be though, but something funky is definitely going on. Valves bent? The BAD exhaust sound that I’m hearing, almost sounds like the boost pressure is just blowing through the engine, as if the intake and exhaust valves were open look long by themselves?

Anyways, share your thoughts. I’ve attached a data log of me leaving work, and a very short 3rd gear pull for your reference.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I would have the blower sent in and looked at by ct maybe. My stage 2 kit has been perfect for me other than barring change on both the smooth and ribbed idler pulley because they went out. Also there is a like smoker thing sone shops use where they force this smoke into the intake area to look for a vacuum leak area

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^ I think your right, sending the SC in is going to be a must. I'll contact CT and see what they say.

I had zero problems with my stage 1 setup when it was just the reflash, but for some reason, I can't seem to catch a break when I tried to upgrade.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Have you redone a compression check/leakdown test? Should tell you if you bent a valve.

Play in the snout pulley is most likely the plastic coupler is worn, easy replacement. Although, if it wobbles, possibly damaged rotors and/or casing, which could account for the low psi.

Have you tried better injectors? your difficulty in tuning would suggest poor injector performance.

Check your header/exhaust for leaks.

One more thought. Possibly the bypass valve is not fully closing when in boost. Cause could be actuator or vaccuum hose leak, or bypass valve is not aligned properly.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Any links to replacing the plastic coupler? I've inspected the rotors, and aside from being spotlessly clean from the meth spray, there is no visible signs of damage. I am running the Id 725's, and I don't think I'm having a problem. 1 issue I noticed before though, is the injectors do not fit tight in the manifold, so I am switching to the stock o-rings which seem to be a bit bigger. This might be my boost leak problem? I'm still waiting on the injector o-rings to arrive to fix this. they are not fall out loose, but they go in very very easy.

I've done my best to check the exhaust for a leak, I can't seem to find anything though. It sounds like a leak, but I can't see, or feel anything with my hands when I'm under the car. I guess the next step would be to take it off and really inspect it.

My other thought was that the bypass valve is actually broken. I'm not sure how to align it properly, or what's required. I played with the adjustment screw on the actuator arm, and inspected carefully to be sure the valve looks closed. I did this with the blower off. I am going to try and take it all apart again this weekend, and I will take pictures. I replaced the vacumn hose going to the actuator, and clamped it in place on both ends (pain in the ars to do btw).

I'll re-do the compression test again, and perform a leak down test or have a shop do it since I don't have access to compressed air.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I'm having issues on start up with my blower. It knocks and nate at ct is avoiding my emails....I luv the kit but I'm not happy with the way nate is not handling it.........but that's another story..

If I were u id just go back to a reflash for now and use the ct injectors....I would prob just get blower rebuilt... motor sounds fine it looks like its just the tune/injectors...

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I updated the first post and clarified that I am running the 725's now. thanks for the link, I'll take a look at it and see if it's something I can do myself. What doesn't make sense to me, is why at the same rpm window I always get knock, no matter what. this suggest o me that at this point there is somethign fluttering, I just can't figure out what.

The reflash didn't work at all with my car, not sure why. I was getting knock in the 300's with the reflash and the fuel maps were way off. It could be that my FPR crush tool was not built to spec, and I wasn't getting enough fuel. jeff did say he had to add about 10% accross the board to start the tuning session. I never got around to measuring my FP so I can't really go back and look. I can however hook it up now and take a look. I crushed the heck out of that FPR, infact I did it to 3 of them.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
If you have that much play then for sure your snout coupler holes have oblonged themselves out. This can happen over time. The snout coupler is easy to replace as well as most of the seals/bearing on the blower.

Check out this page for some really good info as well as to order affordable replacement parts:

Rolling Performance Home

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Could be an exhaust blockage of some sort...What header are you running? Checked your flex pipe? Made sure it didn't collapse?

This is a .75" opening that ought to be either 2" or 2.25"..THis caused a huge loss in power.

Not the first time I have seen it either :D

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Little update. I did a pressure test on the bypass valve and it failed. So I'm ordering 1 today. Going to do my compression tests, etc tonight or tomorrow. And I'll get under the car and look at the exhaust again then too. I've also ordered the coupler for the snout, I'm going to replace that, looks fairly simple.

I should or would do the bearings, but I might want to hold off on that for now. I don't have the equipment to do it here, I need to find a shop that can press those in and out for me. Everything comes about tuesday

1 - 20 of 21 Posts